Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Which sensor is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which sensor is bad?

Alright, I had this problem before I put my car in storage last year and I better fix it before I take it out this year if the snow ever goes away around here.

Anyway, my fan isn't going on when the temp goes up, but it will go on if I turn on the heat or A/C. I thought it would be the coolant sensor, but I changed that and the fan still doesn't kick in though. I changed the sensor by the thermostat - was this the correct one? I know someone mentioned something about a sensor between 2 of the cylinders on the passenger side of the car - is there another one over there that may be causing this problem?

Anyone have any ideas?

Chad
92 RS
Old 03-14-2001, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 T/A
Engine: 305HOL69
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Chad, the sensor you replaced is the temp sensor for the computer. The fan sensor is between the #6 and #8 sparkplugs, right beside the oil dipstick. It's a little buried in there, so you'll have to feel around for it. It's got a connector that you have to squeeze at the sides to release. Before you dump the coolant to change it, test for a bad fan relay. With the engine running, use a piece of wire to jump the pin in the center of the wire's connector to a good ground and see if the fan comes on. If it does, replace the sensor. If you're running a lower thermostat I suggest a Jet fan switch that comes on around 195. If the fan still won't kick on then your relay probably $hit the bed. Driver's side, firewall, in the engine bay.

------------------
DR Stevens
Car #1:
1984 TransAm
305 HO (L69)
750 cfm Q-Jet reman. by Holley
K&N filter
700R4/Superior shift-kit
3.42 lim.slip
underdrive pulleys
Accel HEI Super-Coil
180 stat/hi flow water