Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

car spuders under load

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350 Crate Motor Holley Stealth Ram
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
car spuders under load

Under load at times, its funny becuase it only does it once inawhile while im driving seems like when i put it under some sort of load the car spudders the tach goes nuts and it seems like it wants to die, kinda like its starving for fuel but i have reasonable doubt that its not fuel related leaning toward spark related.....

if i pull off my cap how can i tell if the electrodes are bad? cause its an accel cap thats two years old and we all know how long those things last......

it also seemed like it strarted to do this when i raised my idle speed....could it be that its getting too much air causing it to spudder like that? any help would be appraciated

p.s. plugs are fine and all wires are clear of my headers and none of them are burned.

thanks
Old 07-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 95 E-150 & 07 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Engine: A slow one & a fast one
Transmission: A bad one & a good one
Axle/Gears: A weak one & a chained one
I doubt the idle speed has anything to do with your problem. TPS sensor reading might be a little bit off from the idle change, but that's not TOO big of a deal.

On an old cap, look for cracks in it and burns on the electrodes. Any kind of wear on them as well. Usually the electrodes will begin to look a little burned after a while...they'll build up some white corrosion on all of the points of it. 2 years is a long time to keep a cap and rotor on a car that isn't a Honda.... I'd probably replace it. I try to replace mine once every year at least.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any time the tach bounces erratically you have an ignition problem, and most likely a secondary ignition problem. ACCEL cap? Even if new, junk it. What brand plugs and wires? ACCEL? Junk them too. A quality cap and rotor with AC Delco plugs and wires will solve your problem.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:08 PM

I run delco plugs w/ msd 8.5 wires.....the cap it must be, im going to pull it off as we speak and see.....someone told me tonight if the electrodes are white then its junk
Old 07-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 95 E-150 & 07 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Engine: A slow one & a fast one
Transmission: A bad one & a good one
Axle/Gears: A weak one & a chained one
Originally posted by BadIroc
.....someone told me tonight if the electrodes are white then its junk
That's not NECESSARILY true....white, corroded-looking electrodes is pretty much normal wear. They'll build up specks of it pretty quickly. But when it starts to get BAD, it's time for replacement. Of course if you're poor, you can wirebrush them clean. That usually works pretty well except on excessive buildup or a very old cap. Considering it's 2 yrs old....replace it! Look for one with copper or brass terminals. Those are better than the SUPER CHEAPIE caps that look like they've got aluminum electrodes on the inside of the cap. The brass/copper cap isn't much more...it's worth it. As far as brand-wise....like, oh buy the MSD cap..don't buy into that crap. A cap and rotor is a cap and rotor.....provided that they've got the same statistics, they'll perform the same so don't waste your money for an MSD cap. (And this is coming from someone who USED an MSD cap)
Old 07-01-2004, 11:36 PM

yeah thats true, an ac delco cap is just as good IMO