Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What's this vacuum leak..also does anyone have a vacuum diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1997 Corvette
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 IRS
What's this vacuum leak..also does anyone have a vacuum diagram?

Alright, I've uploaded a pic that I just snapped of a vacuum leak I found under my hood today. I think I noticed it awhile back, but didn't pay much attention since I kept saying I was going to get around to replacing most of the vacuum lines at once. Well, that time has come. I was outside inspecting my vacuum lines and trying to decide how much of each size I needed when I saw this leak. I've ripped the hose off in the picture, but I was curious as to what this is and what hasn't been working right. As circled in yellow in the picture, this hose was about 4" long and connected a vacuum check valve to the upper intake plenum.

Also, a full vacuum diagram would be awesome too if someone could provide that as a PDF or GIF or something for me. I have an '88 Trans Am with the 305tpi motor.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails What's this vacuum leak..also does anyone have a vacuum diagram?-vacuum-leak.jpg  
Old 07-05-2004, 03:13 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Cruise control for one and I believe that the other one is for the HVAC controls inside the car. It connects to the last port on the passenger side of the plenum.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member

Hmm thanks a lot. That's probably it, I never use my HVAC stuff, so that's probably why I didn't really notice anything. My cruise control works so I know that's not the one
Old 07-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Hmm I guess I'll ask some more questions in this thread so I don't start multiple threads here. I'll list a few questions I have and see which ones can get answered

1. I have oil sitting on my pass. valve cover around teh CCV tube. Is there a valve in this CCV tube at all, or just the PCV one? I replaced the PCV valve a few weeks ago, and I haven't cleaned the valve cover since then, but even then, I'm pretty sure the old PCV valve was working okay. I also put a chrome oil breather on the driver's valve cover where the oil fill used to be. Will this hurt the PCV system's functionality at all? I haven't leaked any oil out of the breather yet..

2. What's this I hear about a filter for the vapor canister? Any such thing on my car?

3. What is that vacuum-solenoid-looking-thing between the AIR diverter valve and the intake? Is that the heater core diverter valve? (circled in yellow below)

4. Why do I have coolant leaking out of the coolant reservoir, is this normal? Is my coolant too full? Also, I'm pretty sure I need a coolant flush, just haven't had it done yet. (in red below)

5. Is there a belt I can use to remove my A/C compressor without needing the AC delete pulley?

6. Is the stock A/C setup for the HVAC a blow-through or suck-through setup when talking about air going through the A/C "radiator" in the heater box? I removed the top of my box when I took the A/C out and am trying to decide how I want to do things.

I have a few more questions, but I'll have to take another pic and post it in my other thread that was more focused on A/C stuff. Again, thanks in advance!
Old 07-05-2004, 03:59 PM
TGO Supporter

Well, to answer a few of your questions without a picture available.

1. There is no valve in the passenger side valve cover other than the breather valve (CCV). The PCV valve is on the driver side valve cover.

2. There is a filter on the bottom of the charcoal (vapor) cannister that can be changed. They are available at most auto parts stores.

Any other answers to your questions require a picture.

In response to your first post about the vacuum line. Have you followed the line to see where it goes in the engine bay? On mine, it goes to the HVAC controls and the long one goes around the back of the engine and up to the front on the drivers side where it splits off and goes to the vacuum control canister and the cruise control unit.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Supreme Member

I'm an idiot, I forgot to upload the pic, lol, but here it is. Anyways, yes that's where that line goes for me too, but my cruise control works fine...go figure. But there is a check valve there so its not so much of a leak from that side. If anything it'd be a leak from the manifold.

You mention a (CCV) breather valve...can this be replaced? That was, more or less, the main thing I wanted to know about it. Would replacing it maybe stop the oil leak?
Attached Thumbnails What's this vacuum leak..also does anyone have a vacuum diagram?-engine.jpg  
Old 07-05-2004, 05:17 PM
TGO Supporter

The reason the coolant tank is overflowing is because it appears that you have too much fluid in it. Take about half of that fluid out. The CCV valve can be replaced although it is not really a valve so to speak. It is just a fitting that runs from the throttle body to the opening in the valve cover and sealed with that grommet. The other item circled is the heater diverter control valve.