Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

what do you think this car is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2001, 07:00 PM
Zio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you think this car is worth?

Hey guys I think I FINALLY found a car that I want to buy. It is a 89 RS Well here is what i saw when i went to look at it.
The body is rust free except a dime size spot right behind the door. Everything else is perfect. The interior is very clean. the carpet could use a little cleaning. It has a aftermarket tach. The car has t-tops and an alarm (with t-top censors).
the engine has been switch to a 350 that is carburated. It is a out of a 94 chevy 1500. The engine has been completely rebuilt and has 5,000 miles on it. it has a holly 750 DP. The heads had a valve job done on them. It also has 1.6 rocker arms. It has headman shorty headers with dynomax catback exhaust.

Well i think that is about it. the owner is asking $5,200. I was thinking of offering him $4,800. From this discriptioin do you guys think that $4,800 is a good offer or should i go lower or higher?
thanks
Tom
Old 04-28-2001, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive heard "the engine was rebult man" so many times it makes me puke, a can of spray paint and a power washer can do wonders for an engine . does the car run good? no smoke or anything? it sounds a bit pricy for an 89 but if all the engine work was really done and you like it than its a good deal. Before you buy it you should take into consideration that it probably doesent have the smog crap on it. that could be a big problem if emmision laws are strict where you live. But if everthing is ok with the car just make 1 supprise visit in the mourning to the owner to see if the car smokes when its cold.
SSC
Old 04-29-2001, 02:34 AM
Zio

Thanks for the reply. I know that i have to watch out for the "rebuilt engine". he had all kinds of paper work and reciepts on the engine. he has proof of head work and engine work. Yeah the car runs great and i didn't see any smoke at all. I guess i will have to think about it som more.
thanks
Tom
Old 04-29-2001, 01:24 PM

I live in Burbank, Illinois and if this car is your daily driver.....you are gonna have problems. Have you ever worked with a carb before or owned a car with a carb? They are not as easy to live with as fuel injection. It gets pretty cold in winter and pretty hot in the summer here and carbs are gonna be hard to tune to be reliable in the wide variety of weather conditions. I am not saying it is impossible but.....I would look for something with fuel injection if the car is a daily driver.
Old 04-29-2001, 02:14 PM
Zio

My first car was an 87 camaro sport coupe and it was carburated. i loved it and i didn't mind messing with it once in awhile. It also helped that i can work on a carb and parts are much cheaper. I now own a fuel injected car and it sycks. they are expensive and i don't really know how to work on them.
Old 04-29-2001, 10:15 PM

DO NOT PAY MORE THAN $3500 UNLESS THIS VEHICLE IS LOADED AND IMMACULATE! THEN, MAYBE, $4350......

------------------
'84Z28/'92 305TPI
'92 complete rear suspension/PBR disc/Posi/3:42
Light weight 34.5mm stabilizer bar in front ($10 from wrecking yard)/
"wonder Bar" ($5 from wrecking yard)
23mm sta. bar in rear
Rear RS Springs (slightly softer than my Z28)
comp cam, flowmaster
TB coolantbypass/shutoff valve to heater core
powersteering cooler lines (liberated from another wrecked car of course)
MAT relocated
Ram-Air(home-made) gutted air-box
IROC ground effects/wheels GY245/50's
700R4 superior shift kit/ corvette servo(excellent shift kit btw)
home-made strut tower brace (cost $6)

Rebuilt engine and transplanted it myself.

Love this engine!

freshly painted OCT. 2000 Teal with two white stripes on the hood and deck lid

LOW performance people should drive low performance vehicles!

[This message has been edited by 84IROC (edited April 29, 2001).]