Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

EGR O2 and EST Codes - Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR O2 and EST Codes - Where do I start?

1989 Trans Am
305/TPI
All Stock
230K+ miles

Need some help here. The car starts and runs good and is my daily driver.
Idles at 1300 to 1500 (Occasionally 2000+)
Service Engine lite comes on a few seconds after first starting for the day and stays on for that particular trip, other engine starts for that day gives no lite.

Paperclipped my codes and got the following:
1. 32-EGR/MAP
2. 42-EST grounded
3. 45-O2 rich error

I can probable replace the O2 sensor and the code 45 might go away but it may just foul out again. As for the code 32 and 42, where do I start??

I've only had the car for a few months. A week or so ago, I found one of the vacume lines disconnected from the EGR valve so I reconnected it and it seems to run a little rougher that before.

Other stuff I've done, plugs and wires, cap and rotor, I reconnected that tube thing that runs from the cat back to the engine (whatever the heck that thing is, I found it was totally broke at the cat, didn't seem to help the engine tho).

How do I start clearing these codes up, I live in Illinois and will have to emission test this sucker sooner or later.

I'm all ears!

Rick
Old 04-30-2001, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Transmission: 700R4
Well, you really should start with diaging the EGR, when you connected the vacuum line, and it ran rougher, it may be getting EGR at idle...

But, you've got other problems, you should be idling in the 700-800 RPM range, look through Tech Centtral for IAC reset procedure and minimum idle setting procedure.

Replacing the O2 sensor is a good start, especially with the miles on the car, also check it all over for vacuum leaks.

If you don't have recent history on the car, a good tuneup (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, base timing, etc) would be in order.

Your code 42 may be left over from setting the timing, or another problem, not sure.

Get Chiltons manual to start with and an inexpensive DVM, if you have the uuck, get a Helms manual and a good DVM, AutoXray or similar scan tool, and get with it