Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

car died while running?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car died while running?

I was driving my car on the freeway going about 70mph and all of a sudden the car died. I was able to maintain enough cruising speed to coast to the side of the freeway. What would cause the car to die in the middle of running? I tried to start it from the side of the road and it wouldn't kick over at first, but when I pressed the pedal and tried to start it it eventually kicked over. This has happened one other time too, but I'm done driving it till I can come up with an explination. What are some possibilities for the cause?
Old 05-04-2001, 03:16 AM

Have you noticed any drivability problems(surging, hesitation, etc.)before the car started dying? What can cause a car to just die while in transit? Any number of things. A bad alternator. But if that was the case you wouldn't have been able to start her up and drive off. A clogged catalytic converter is another possiblity. If that is the case you would have been noticing some hesitation at speed. Have you been? Some members on this board have had similar problems so you may want to look around and see what others have to say. Is your engine using a carb or EFI? If it uses a carb you might be experiencing vapor lock. Are the temperatures in your area very hot?
Old 05-04-2001, 08:28 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I tried to start it from the side of the road and it wouldn't kick over at first, but when I pressed the pedal and tried to start it it eventually kicked over. [/B]</font>
Did the car even attempt to turn over the first time, or did it turn over and just not fire? I am no expert but it seems to me that if it wouldn't even turn over(as if the battery was dead), then you would have some sort of an electrical problem. But what, I don't know:-) ~Arnold
Old 05-04-2001, 10:43 AM
Supreme Member

Its quite possible that you Just have a ***** Ignition Switch.

Need More info.

------------------
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver
Reader's ride -&gt; My Ride

Just another Hot Rod kid, or thats what they all tell me.
Livin' the Stereotype
Old 05-04-2001, 11:03 AM

Sounds like the typical VATS problem.
Check out this ThirdGen Article for more info.

Thomas.

------------------
1992 RS Camaro - Red
305-TBI/5 Speed Manual- centerforge clutch/3.08 geared rear
1.6 Roller Rockers and Cam / Adjustable Fuel Regulator with high flow pump / Open Air K&N Filter / TBI Spacer / ADS Super Chip & custom burned Off-Road Only chip
Headers - Cat Back system - Flow Master - dual chrome tips
adjustable Coni shocks & struts
Old 05-04-2001, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
I would've said "ignition module!", but the fact that your car started back up quickly doesn't fit. It would've taken a while; the module would've had to cool back down for it to start working again.

Even simpler- are the battery cable connections clean & tight?

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!