Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Non-thirdgen rear view mirror question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2001, 03:42 PM

Non-thirdgen rear view mirror question...

Ive fixed the button on my TA before, used the glue and stuff and it worked fine. I used to replace rear view mirrors at places I worked at too, so I know what to do.

Im a little lost on this one. Twice now I have had to repair the one in my pickup. It keeps falling off, the glue sticks to the window and none at all is stuck to the button. Usually there is some on the button, but this thing was clean, not a trace of anything on it. So I cleaned it, sanded it with some 360 grit, and threw it back on there. I hope it stays. Any ideas why this is happening?

And yes, I realize that driving a Ford doesnt mean you need a rearview because theres nobody behind you , but keep in mind its a 4 cylinder and its a PITA to change lanes in traffic with the mirror laying on the floor.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many years ago......I put a rear view mirror on. There is a trick to it! Get the kind that you have to mix, and put a little dot on the button(just enough to NOT go over the edges) and stick it where you want. I think I held it there for a while, but a few minutes should be good. If you get the glue over the sides of the edges little air bubbles can get in there and make it fall off. Mine has never fallen off.

I thought on allfords those were held on with chewing gum and duct tape.. oh well

Old 05-20-2001, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem in my Chevy truck.
What finally fixed it after 10 of those 1.50$
kits was to put a fair amout of glue on the winshield and the other half on the tab then let it set for about 5 min then stick it the tab on there and hold it for a few minutes. I just let that setup for the rest of the day and it never came off again.
It's held for 2 years now.
SSC