Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How can I tell if I have a warped block?

Old 10-15-2004, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
How can I tell if I have a warped block?

I'm (still) rebuilding my engine. The heads have been decked, but I recently ran into an external coolant leak through the head gasket whenever I reassembled the motor. I haven't pulled the heads yet to determine where it's leaking from, but I suspect that it may be coming through an improperly-sealed head bolt. If that's not the case, then the only other possibility that I can think of is a warped block.

The engine was overheated two years ago, so I know it's a possibility. A blown head gasket is also the reason why I decided to rebuild the motor in the first place. I told my machinist to deck the block when he had it, but he never did it. I overlooked that and never noticed until I was reviewing some pictures I took during assembly.

Is there an easy way for me to check if the block is warped with the engine still in the car? I had thought about using a straightedge with a light behind it, noting how much light entered through any gaps. Can I do it a better way?
Old 10-16-2004, 02:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 POS monte carlo 2015 chevy P/U
Engine: 92 5.7 tpi 5.3
Transmission: 700r4 6L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.42 too high
that will work, but to get an accurate measurement use a feeler gage. if you have a a repair manual it should have specs in it for how much is too much.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:19 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

precission straight edge and feeler gage, should be less than .005 or so out of flat. i'd say someone really dropped the ball if you wanted the block decked and never got it done at the shop and if you never noticed it when you got it. i always have a block surfaced at the very least when it's at the machine shop. if it's leaking without running i'd guess you have a big problem. did you use sealer on the head bolts?
Old 10-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Supreme Member

Yep, it's leaking when the engine's off. Not as bad as when it's on, but it's still occurring. I don't actually get a puddle when the car is running because the coolant burns right off, but if I let it sit while warm it'll pool up. When cold, the coolant kinda oozes out.

Yep, I used thread sealant on the bolts. They're brand new bolts that came with sealant already on the threads... fairly thick, too.

I pulled the head today and I cannot find one trace of anything bad on either the head, the block, or the gasket. Everything looks just fine; the head gasket looks properly compressed, too. I did find that the head bolt closest to the leak was one of the easier bolts to remove, but that may have been because I removed them in the order I put them on (standard SBC pattern). I'm positive that I torqued them down evenly; I'm a nut about that and triple-checked. The Fel-Pro gasket I used also stated that re-torquing was not necessary, so I don't think the bolt backed out or anything.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:56 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

shin or coated gasket? to leak cold you either did something wrong or have a problem. the fact that it over heated would lead me to suspect a crack or warpage.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 iroc-z 5.7tpi 350,
Engine: 5.7tpi 350,
Transmission: T-56 fully built WOOHOO
yes was it magnafluxed???
Old 10-18-2004, 01:18 AM

did you check?

did you check your frost plugs to see if one of them was leaking? Also check the plugs to see if antifreeze was leaking into a cyl.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

I used Fel-Pro blue Permatorque head gaskets... I guess that would be a coated gasket? They were definitely not flimsy metal like some that I've seen.

The machinist told me that the block was magnafluxed and that there were no cracks... but I didn't actually see him do it.

The frost plugs are all new, but I looked at them and I never saw any leakage. The plugs look fine, too. I don't think that any coolant was entering the cylinders.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

I took a few pictures of the head gasket. By letting them sit (dry out?) for a few days, coolant marks are now visible. This is a shot of the gasket at the location where the engine was leaking. It looks like the lower water jacket may be the culprit.

A shot of the head at the same location.

Finally, the block. It sure doesn't appear decked, does it?

I guess this rules out any possibility of a leaky head bolt. Could a warped block still make a gasket leak here, or is there a better chance of mechanic's (my) error? I also took a picture of another cylinder at the same water jacket. What is that black border around the compressed portion of the gasket? Is that coolant seeping out around the base? Notice how it appears to stretch into the cylinder. I was able to wipe the fire ring clean, but the head gasket remains dirty. The black thing on top of the water jacket area is just a piece of dirt; it wasn't on the gasket when I pulled it apart.

Last edited by blue86iroc; 10-19-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:26 AM

Re: How can I tell if I have a warped block?

Originally Posted by blue86iroc
I'm (still) rebuilding my engine. The heads have been decked, but I recently ran into an external coolant leak through the head gasket whenever I reassembled the motor. I haven't pulled the heads yet to determine where it's leaking from, but I suspect that it may be coming through an improperly-sealed head bolt. If that's not the case, then the only other possibility that I can think of is a warped block.

The engine was overheated two years ago, so I know it's a possibility. A blown head gasket is also the reason why I decided to rebuild the motor in the first place. I told my machinist to deck the block when he had it, but he never did it. I overlooked that and never noticed until I was reviewing some pictures I took during assembly.

Is there an easy way for me to check if the block is warped with the engine still in the car? I had thought about using a straightedge with a light behind it, noting how much light entered through any gaps. Can I do it a better way?
use the straight edge with feeler gauges in a grid pattern across the entire surface while paying close attention to the water passages the thickest feeler gauge that will go under the straight edge is ure warpage
Old 07-18-2019, 11:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: How can I tell if I have a warped block?

Originally Posted by Wizard493
use the straight edge with feeler gauges in a grid pattern across the entire surface while paying close attention to the water passages the thickest feeler gauge that will go under the straight edge is ure warpage
Perhaps he has figured out if the block is warped or not in the last 15 years? You think? MAYBE?!? WTF.

GD
The following users liked this post:
WildCard600 (07-18-2019)