Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Design flaw with our radiators?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Design flaw with our radiators?

Our radiators have the Heater Hose return on the intake side of the pump. The hot water from the heater does not go through the radiator to be cooled. Is this a Flaw? Would it be better to have it so it enterd the radiator on the drivers side?
I ask this because I am having Griffin Put a heater return barb on the double 1.25 core radiator that summit sells for 281.
Also what is the size of the inlet and outlet on our stock radiators? They told be it would be 25 dollars for each thing they modified on the radiator.
25 to change the inlet size
25 to change the outlet size
25 for a pet****
25 for a heater return barb.
Old 06-07-2001, 11:15 PM

No petting your pet **** is allowed around here... Say it with me now... PET**** stupid censor...

Anyways, there isnt a whole lot of coolant that flows through there as compared to the other side. I considered this too, but to some extent the cool water is on the bottom, and the hot stuff is on the top. If you are really worried about coolant flow, you have a couple blockoffs put in each tank so that the coolant HAS to go through the radiator at least twice to get back out, rather than just going down and out from either side. Thats probably more than 25 bucks a side tho...

I dunno the size of the inlet and outlet, been too long since I checked that.
Old 06-08-2001, 07:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Hot water is good for creating heat. Why do you want to cool the water for the heater? In the summer a valve should shut off flow to the heater core, so it won't cause problems. If you don't have the automatic valve, a manual valve works just as well.

------------------
82 camaro--original steering wheel, brake/gas pedals, seats--everything else modified
82camaro
Old 06-08-2001, 07:47 AM

I want to cool the water after the heater core. If I put a valve in does it need to redirect the water. What I mean is does the water always need a place to circulate? Is Would the pump be OK Until the Thermostat Opened if it did not have the heater hose to recirculate?
Old 06-08-2001, 01:48 PM

Dump question from me. Why would you want to cool the water from the heater? To my way of thinking you want hot water to heat the interior of the car on cold winter nites. So cooling the water to then sent it to the heater would give you cool air and not hot air. On hot days when my cooling system needs some extra help I turn the heater on hot and the fan to high, roll down the windows and watch the water temp. go down.
Old 06-08-2001, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
It won't hurt the pump to not circulate. That's what it does when the auto/manual valve on the heater hose is shut and the thermostat is shut.

------------------
82 camaro--original steering wheel, brake/gas pedals, seats--everything else modified
82camaro
Old 06-08-2001, 05:17 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Our radiators have the Heater Hose return on the intake side of the pump. The hot water from the heater does not go through the radiator to be cooled. Is this a Flaw? </font>
The heater water return was on the water pump on older SBC's so its pretty much the same thing as returning it to the passenger side tank IMHO. Either way, the heater water bypasses the radiator core.

I'd bet they put the return on the radiator because of the serpentine belt setup and clearance issues at the pump.
Old 06-08-2001, 09:00 PM

Thanks everbody. Im taking it its not a big deal where the heater hose goes. One other question then: What size is the inlet and outlet
Old 06-09-2001, 03:37 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 Firebird WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I made a adapter to mount that heater hose return right into the bottom radiator hose with the griffen. It doesn't effect the temperature as the thermostat would just open more and blow the hot water out, the griffen is so efficent that its no big deal. I run right at 170 with the 160 thermo, guage may be off, but it climbs to there and just stays there, never fluctuates at all.

Old 06-09-2001, 10:20 AM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by madmax:
No petting your pet **** is allowed around here... Say it with me now... PET**** stupid censor...</font>
O.K. - <h1>PET(0(K!</h1>

I'll agree - the censoship software must've been written by MicroSoft - it sucks, too! And yet it's perfectly acceptable to say "tit" - go figure...

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Let the bodies hit the floor!"
Adobe Acrobat Reader

[This message has been edited by Vader (edited June 09, 2001).]
Old 06-09-2001, 01:20 PM

Vader, only you would figure a way to write pet**** uncensored. A little less antiseize on the pancakes and you will be fine.

[This message has been edited by AustinT (edited June 09, 2001).]