Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting problem

Yesterday my car would not start. It would turn over, but would not go. It sounded like it needed fuel. I looked down at my fuel gauge and it was pegged way past full and stayed there giving a false reading.

About an hour later I turn the key to roll up the power windows. The fuel gauge was working and the car started right up.

I took it to the dealer today. They say it has no stored codes and they can not duplicate the problem. They will keep trying and keep it over night. Does anyone have an ideas on what my problem could be. Thanks!

------------------
Patrick Malinowski
1991 Z28 Convertible
25K original miles.
1998 Honda Accord Daily driver (hey it has got a 200 hp V-6 and is better in the snow)
2000 Impala (wife's)
Old 06-15-2001, 05:40 PM

Maybe all your fuel pressure's bleeding away when it sits too long.. Then when you try to crank it, it takes a while to get the pressure back up.

Just a guess.

------------------
89 iroc-z 305 tbi
k&n filtercharger, open element air filter. nuffin' else
Old 06-15-2001, 06:45 PM

I actually had just driven the car the day before. I have had the thing sit all winter and it has always fired right up the first turn. Dealer still does not have a glue...thinks it may be as simple as a little water or dirt on the chip in the key. I would sure like to know for sure. I would hate to have the car die with the family in it.

------------------
Patrick Malinowski
1991 Z28 Convertible
25K original miles.
1998 Honda Accord Daily driver (hey it has got a 200 hp V-6 and is better in the snow)
2000 Impala (wife's)
Old 06-15-2001, 11:56 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt SLP Torsen, 3.73 ratio
LOL, dirt on the key causing cranking but not starting, thats a new one! LOL!!!!!
Anyways, the problem sounds like it is intermittant (sp) What that means it is going to be the hardest to track down...
If you feel like spending money, get a scan tool and check all sensors readings. Make sure they are all well w/i spec. Make sure fuel pressure is good. Make sure dist cap, rotor, plugs, and plug wires are all good. Otherwise sit back, maybe it was just a fluke!

Just thought of this...did they check *all* the fuel pump wiring? I am not sure, but I imaging it runs along the same path as the fuel gauge wires...which were obviously reading wrong (my guess is a short in it) If the fuel gauge wire is damaged, and runs alond the same plat as the fuel pump wiring, the fuel pump wires may also have been damaged, and are working ok, because they arent touching the body (most likely short point) This would be fine, except, esposed to the elements the copper will oxidize...and eventually stop working

Good luck

------------------
Corry Lazarowitz
clazarow@voicenet.com
clazarowitz@hotmail.com
1987 Pontiac Trans AM (GTA?) 350 or is it a 305?! TPI
SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3" cat back (stock cat
MSD ignition.
MSD Blaster SS coil.
3.73 Rear end gears
Accell 8.8 Wires
Bosh +4 Spark Plugs (Don't know if they really help but hell!)
Holley AFPR
Race Built Automatic trans ('vette servo, shift kit, tightly packed clutches)--just needs titanium gears now!
Newly gutted cat (the car gutted it's own cat!)
Hypertech Chip (Just found out I had it! :eek
More soon when funds are avail...
Old 06-16-2001, 07:44 AM

Corry,

Good point. I wounder if they have looked over the wiring. Sounds like they are just trying to start the car every hour to duplicate the problem, and it has been starting every time. Maybe I sould have them hose the back end by the fuel tank to see if they can make it short out?

The car is still at the dealer, they wanted to keep it over night and try again. I will make sure they actually get under the car and look at the wires. It still is not blowing any codes.

------------------
Patrick Malinowski
1991 Z28 Convertible
25K original miles.
2000 Impala (wife's)
Old 06-16-2001, 08:59 PM

Well, dealer said he tried everything he can think of. Still claims that it had do to with a bad contact with the key for the VATS. He did cancel the bill, so at least I did not waste my time and money. If anyone has any other ideas, or thinks the deal may be right with the VATS theory, please let me know.

------------------
Patrick Malinowski
1991 Z28 Convertible
25K original miles.
2000 Impala (wife's)
Old 06-16-2001, 11:02 PM

I'm kinda in the same boat with my Bird. Random stalls.

Only thing I can say is wait till it dupes and check for fuel and spark. Then you have something to start with.

Good luck

Bob3