Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

smog legal induction options

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smog legal induction options

Hey guys,

I am still banging my head against the table every time I start thinking about it. I am from western NY, so our laws are not as strict as some of the other places, but then again I don't know what they will be in 2 years and I will not have my car on the road till them. And recently they did become stricter.

My original plan was to go with a carb and hope I'll pass, but before I go down that road, I want to see what other options are out there.

I want the engine to be all forged 383 bottom end with AFR 195 heads (are those even smog legal?). Now for EFI, there is TPI, miniram, super ram and stealthram.

TPI according to everyone else is crap especially on 383. Is Accel Super Ram the only legal EFI alternative? Or are there others by now?

Anyone from around here, should I even bother with EFI?

[actually with the cost of complete EFI, I can probably buy carb with carb intake and not even notice a dent in the budget at this point. They I'd just switch at will. Yeah, that's probably cookie talk]
Old 04-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Big mouth/AS&M combo.
Super Ram.

Those two can, and have, passed dyno emissions (CA & MA) with some pretty warm cams as well.

-maybe- the FAST set up is emissions legal too, can’t remember, see if you can look it up.
Can't remember if the new BBK one is going to be or not, check that thread on the TPI board.

You can also make the mini-ram et al *legal* yourself by plumbing your own egr, but the subsequent cam selections may kill you.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:50 PM

Car: 86 coupe
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27 posi
grind the "rpm" logo off a performer rpm and bead blast the whole thing to match?????????
Eric B
Old 04-05-2005, 12:29 AM

Analytical Services & Materials or Arizona Speed and Marine. I went with the later one. So basically AS&M runners with big mouth intake is same TPI with slightly better air flow. Each piece offers some HP gain over stock 350 TPI.

Can I assume it won't be enough for a healthy 383. My goal with forged bottom end to be able to consistently bring the engine up to somewhere around 6,500 rpm. I am correct to assume this setup will die somewhere between 5000 and 5500?

Accel setup is the only one I've seen that is good for 6500 and actually legal, but found it a little weird that they would have absolutely no competion in street market.

Still checking out the other ones
Old 04-05-2005, 12:58 AM

I emailed FAST to see what they say. BBK doesn't make anything for Gen I or II blocks as far as I can tell. Their site said something about "GM TPI" intake coming soon.

RD, what did you mean by "cam selection" killing me. Do different intakes have different cams which may or may not be legal with them?

anyone, anything else out there?
Old 04-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Depending on the characteristics of the camshaft you select you can have adverse emissions effects due to certain characteristics of the cam, overlap being one of a few. That shoudl be, and has been a few times, it's own thread.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:28 AM

Ok RD, this thing keeps sitting in my head. I still don't know what you mean cam selection when it comes to different intake options.

I do want an engine which has power band higher in RPM than typical street TPI. Looking at all forged bottom end with 195 AFR heads (clueless on what cam to get). From what I've seen in archives (which I've been digging through for the last 5 days), miniram is a way to go for top HP.

Now, about the cam. Having more overlap will benefit higher RPM because more air will be sucked in. At idle or light load, it might increase HC emissions because with large overlap intake charge might get sucked right out though the exhaust.

The part that is confusing me is why you singled out the miniram and said that cam selection might not work? What about Super Ram, how would cam for that intake be different? Are you just taking into account that miniram would like higher rpms than super ram?