Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305, V8
Transmission: manual
Overheating problem

First of all i would like to thank Vader & gholian for the quick response to my last problem, it was the battery.

So, after my '86 Trans Am has been sitting for 5 years, it's a V8, 305, carb, electric fan (grrrrrrr), i have many problems to deal with, but for now i need some help with this problem.

I had a mechanic do some repairs on it like the cat converter, re-built carb put on, etc, anyway, he drove it back to my place tonight (about a 15 min drive on the highway) and when he got here the rad fluid was boiling in the overflow container. You should know that the fan relay switch is tricked, i was havin problems with the fan not turning on, so i stuck a piece of wire in the bottom of the relay to connect two ports that turn the fan on whenever i turn the key to the on position.

So thats my problem, with the car at least, hahahaha
Old 04-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 Berlinetta
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Could be thermostat.

In a normal running condition, if the fan cools the coolant, and the coolant gets to and through the block and heads, then it's surved it's purpose.

Thus, if you have no:

coolant
fan
working thermostat

then it wont cool properly.

Now, you have coolant (adequate levels I'm assuming?), and your fan is hardwired on all the time, thus the only thing else left to check would be if your thermostat is stuck closed.

You can also check your radiator cap. If you have a cap that can hold more pressure than it's supposed to, then that could cause a problem as well, but that isnt going to be as big a deal, you'll mainly just lose coolant.

My radiator cap says it holds 16lbs, but if you had yours replaced to hold something like 21lbs then it wouldnt be releasing the pressure at the right poundage and keep the coolant in there until it's boooiling.

After you check all of those, check and make sure that your radiator itself isnt cracked.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Acura now/Z in the summer
Engine: 5.7 tpi
one symptom of yours stands out amongst it all your coolant is boiling over. this leads to one thing like the thread before stated look at the simple and start there cap, thermostat, hoses, etc. the coolant is not bleeding the pressure built up to be maintained at a precise psi. Also consider getting the block done with a couple of power flushes by your mechanic you would be surprised at the gunk. Also for a few bucks get yourself a jet thermostat 180 and a fan switch 200 on 180 off.