Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Trouble codes help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89' Iroc-Z G92
Engine: TPI 305 G92
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: Limited 9 bolt, 3.45
Trouble codes help!

Okay, just replaced the old distributor parts, I got a new AC Delco Pickup Coil, and a gp sorenson cap and rotor. And a Kem ICM. I cleaned the distributor as well. Replaced it, all the plug wires are in the right spot, and the distributor should be timed in correctly.

First off the motor will not rev past 5000.
with the cap, rotor, and icm the engine would still rev up to around 6500, (i know but still, not intentional).

Then as of two weeks ago at the higher rpms, chunks of rusted metal started shooting out of the exhaust system. I asked the guy at the dealership he said it was probably just the muffler baffles, (which is probably right since the car is very loud now).

Okay after replacing the distributor, the motor has lost a little bit of its kick but not much. At worst it might be off one tooth(it shouldn't be) but that shouldn't cause a problem.

At 10:00pm I added 87 octane gas to the tank since I was almost completely out of gas. Okay rev the engine to see if it was just low pressure I hear a click and some more stuff shoots out the exhaust. Service engine soon light comes on. I counted to 60 but i got distracted and lost count. Any ideas? I have no money and hoping i can borrow the code reader when I take it to the dealership for inspection. The car only has 36,000 miles and i have already replaced almost the whole engine electrical system minus the starter, wiring and ignition box.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Can you afford a paper clip? That's the only scanner you'll need. Perform a search. You'll find lots of information on retrieving your codes.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:32 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Berlinetta
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
the dealer charges me 80 dollars to "borrow" the scanmaster from them lol... so I ask them if I can borrow a paper clip instead and then tell them to F themselves

find your ALDL (should be right underneath the steering column and look like the picture below) then turn the car off, key to ON position IIRC, put the paper clip in terminals A and B, and count how many times the Service Engine Soon (SES) light blinks

It will have a blink, then a pause, and blink twice. That means code 12 (one blink, two blink.... = 12, just like two blink, four blink = 24)

It should show you code 12 three times, then go on to the next code that it is throwing, and show THAT 3 times, and any other codes that it has stored.

Find out what codes they are (it should take you 2 minutes and you can do it in your underwear if you wanted).

Then go to the FAQ board here, and find out what the codes mean. If you have troubles interpretting what the code means, then ask us on this thread, and we'll try to help you out.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Trouble codes help!-aldl.gif  
Old 04-12-2005, 08:10 PM

Car: 89' Iroc-Z G92
Engine: TPI 305 G92
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: Limited 9 bolt, 3.45
trouble code 42, its the timing........................

and one more thing, i need new spark plug wires, whats better the stock 7mm or 8mm, 9mm etc.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:33 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Berlinetta
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
I believe that 42 is the code that's set when you try to set the timing. Just unplug your battery for a full minute, then reconnect it and then drive the car very nice for the next 10 miles or so while the computer re-learns the driving habits (for ultimate fuel efficiency).

8.5mm wires are considerable upgrades to the ignition, but you'd not get as much of a improvement out of bigger plug wires, than you would some MSD ignition goodies, like a coil.