Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Vert Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 11:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Raptor 700
Vert Speakers

Hey guys I posted this in the Car Audio forum but still haven't gotten a response and in kind of a rush, so any help will be appreciated

alright so I have a 1988 IROC convertible and have a few questions about the speaker sizes and such. Ok first off am I correct in assuming that the slot for the receiver is the same on ther vert as it is on the regular coupes and such? Secondly are the dash speakers 4x6, and the rear speakers 6x9 as in the coupe camaros? or different in the convertibles. And lastly how do i remove the rear speakers, due to the soft top there is no sail panel in which my speakers are located, it's this little grill thing thats located a few inches above the rear seat but I don't see any screws or anything on how to remove it, does it just pop off? any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance guys
Old 08-29-2001, 08:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
If you were in search of the answer in a hurry you should have done a simple search for convertible speakers on teh audio board, i've answered this question a few times over there.
The entire front is the same as a coupe. The rears are ~5" round speakers from eth factory, but you can put 6.5" in there real easy, you just need to put new holes on the mounting plates. If you want to go search, i explain why 6x9s don't fit right on the audio board, i tryed it.
As to how to get to 'em, you need to take off the whole side panels. They have one screw at the back where the rear seat brackets are, and the front it help by a few screws around the front edge/trim. Very simple, just look around. Then, the speakers are attached tp opaltes which are attached to studs through the panels.
...ed

------------------
Ed Maher - Moderator @ The TPI & Carb Boards
92 Z28 Convertible - Quasar blue / Tan top
LB9 4L60 GU2 G80 - stock, soon to be sleeper
-=ICON Motorsports=-

- Definitely prototypes, high powered mutants of some kind. Too weird to live, too cool to die