Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Rough Running L03.. CTS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird Green
Engine: SBC L03 - TBI 5.0L V8
Transmission: WC T5
Rough Running L03.. CTS?

My L03 periodically has very low power and feels like it's not even firiing on all cylinders. I have checked the wires, plugs, and rotor, cap... Everything is less than 2,000 miles old (MSD) and up until just lately, it ran great. I noticed my CTS had broken, so I replaced it with a new one... This is where it gets confusing.

-If the car is idling, and I pull the CTS plug, the engine immediately stalls.

-If I plug it back in and start the car, and then pull it off again, nothing happens. However, the SES light is on straight time, and the engine runs the same as befor eI did anything.

-If I unplug the battery for 20 minutes or so, plug the sensor back in and restart the car, it runs like it should, but only sometimes, and only for a while...

My best example of this was last weekend, when I replaced the sensor with the new one. Plugged the batteyr back in, in the morning and off I went. The car ran like crap... However once the engine got warm it began o run fine, for about 50km... Now it's back to it's stubborn ways, and I'm not sure if the CTS has anythign to do with it at all.

Was it fluke it ran good after dickign around with ythe CTS? Symptoms are poor power... Any generous amount of throttle results in a very unbalanced stumbling kind of power... From 1st to 5th, it's more and more noticable... Infact, you can't cruise in 5th, because the car shakes.... Feels like a V8 on 5 cyclinders.

I've tried pulling off each wire as she idles and each one makes the engine run worse, so they're all getting spark...

NO SES light, no codes...

Any ideas?
Old 06-03-2005, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird Green
Engine: SBC L03 - TBI 5.0L V8
Transmission: WC T5
Again, just disconnected the battery for an hour to reset the computer, then went for a drive. The car ran fine until it got up to temperature... Now it runs like crap again, like it's downa couple cylinders or the spark is way off. I just unplugged the battery again. I'll try this once more, then again without the CTS plugged in.

Any help?