Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Some unusual brake bleeding questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Some unusual brake bleeding questions

Ok well I have to put brake fluid back into my braking system this weekend. I didn't bench bleed the master before I reinstalled it into the car because the rest of the lines were out and I didn't want to drip fluid onto my new paint. I read on this board somewhere that you can use denatured alcohol to flush out your brake system. Does anyone know if denatured alcohol eats paint like brake fluid does?? Also is it ok to bleed the system with it, then let it get really low in the master and start adding regular brake fluid then and bleed out all of the alcohol? I know I could always go with DOT 5, but I don't like some of the properties it has.

------------------
Riccioli Performance Motorworks

--RPM Racing--

Getting there.....383 with Super Ram, Bosch 24# SVO's, MSD, Edelbrock 58 mm TB, 700R4 tranny, Eibach springs, Koni 12 way adjustable shocks and struts, and more!! Now let's pray it runs when it's all back together!!!!
Old 09-05-2001, 01:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1999 Pontiac T/A Firehawk
Engine: ***'s Engine
Transmission: T56
You can use alcohol to flush, I did that with my calipers. It doesn't eat paint; at least, it didn't eat mine. As far as not bench bleeding the master.

I would not mix the alcohol with brake fluid, especially not in the quantity you describe. Everything I've ever read says to make sure to get all of the alcohol out of the system. I don't know how well the alcohol mixes, either, so being able to "bleed it all out" is a chancy proposition.

Considering the boiling point of alcohol I bet it would have a REALLY bad affect on your braking.

Depends on exactly what you are trying to flush the best way to go about it. I was only cleaning out my 1LE calipers and hoses, so I took them off the car and cleaned everything good, then let them air dry for a day or so. I think the alcohol is really only supposed to be used when the system is in pieces so you can make sure all of it evaporates off.

I honestly would just flush the system really, really good with multiple cans of brake fluid.

As far as bench bleeding the master, I've heard it can be performed on-car if you raise the rear end of the car so the master cylinder bore is level or a little bit past (with the end closest to the brake booster being the higher end).

------------------
"Beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart, he dreams himself your master"

'84 Black Camaro Sport Coupe ZZ4 350 M6 -- '84 Olds Cutlass Supreme 231 A3
'91 Medium Blue Metallic Z28 400 A4 -- '99 Navy Blue Metallic Firehawk #120 346 M6
Old 09-05-2001, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: th400
you can "bench bleed" the master in the car if you'd like.

hook the lines too it fill the master and hold a rage crack the line and have someone push down the brake pedal, do it for each line till no more air comes out

first things first though
get the master in the car, open the bleeders and fill the master with fluid, and let it gravity bleed for a bit.
I would frown uppon sticking anything but dot3 in the braking system

after you let it sit for a bit "bench bleed the master like i said.
then let it gravity bleed some more.
now for the regular bleeding, start at the right rear, then lefter rear, then right front then left front.
pump the pedal 3 times and hold, each time, and don't let the master run dry. and remember to put the damn cap on.