Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

carb to TPI about to start

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI (used to be Carb)
Transmission: 700R4
carb to TPI about to start

Guys looking for any that have done this. I am trying to find out what snafu's you have had and exactly what parts had to be transfered to the carb'd engine. I have the complete TPI systemplus distributor, and MAP. The engine has 2 wiring harness's; one for the enigine that comes from the passengers side and one for the sensors gauges that comes from the passenger side. I know I need the engine harness but what about the one for the gauges and such. The guy from TA creations in Miami said I would need both becuase the TPI set-up reads the speedo differently that my carb'd system. Anyone feel free to chime in. Thanks
Tony
Old 06-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
You don't need the driver's side harness; that's the one for the gauges and such.

You DO need the pass side one. THat one is actually part of the engine, as the car is assembled (go tour an assembly plant someday). It's for all of the computer connections; sensors, solenoids, etc.

You'll need a high-pressure fuel pump, and if you use a tank-mounted one like a TPI car would have come, maybe the line from the rear of the car to the front. The carb fuel lines run up the driver's side from the tank to the firewall, and cross over to the pass side at the very front of the trans tunnel; the TPI ones however stay on the pass side all the way up.

The speedo stuff is the same. The 87 still used a cable speedo and the little yellow box on the back of the cluster. The pass side harness will have the connector for hooking to that, if you have the right year of harness.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI (used to be Carb)
Transmission: 700R4
Gotcha. I have researched and decided to go with a Holley inline electric fuel pump. I have a 3" completely welded exhaust system and it will be much easier to install an inline by the transmission and then take the lines forward from there. I got that from another board member for the fuel pump and not having to drop the tank. I just got a good lead on the A.I.R. Diverter and gonna start looking for the front plastics to mount the air filters into the bumper like stock. The Pass side wiring harness, I am going only with a 1986 harness. I found one for $100, The guy I am getting the TPI from is looking to see if he still has the wiring harness but if not I will buy the one for $100. I hope to have most parts by the weekend. Have you done this changeover? Is the throttle throttle cable the same? I would think it is but has a different mounting system on the TPI. Thanks for the advicce and help.
Tony
Old 06-21-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 82 Ponitac Firebird
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 4L60e/TCI TCU
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Originally posted by My1986IROC-Z
Gotcha. I have researched and decided to go with a Holley inline electric fuel pump. I have a 3" completely welded exhaust system and it will be much easier to install an inline by the transmission and then take the lines forward from there. I got that from another board member for the fuel pump and not having to drop the tank. I just got a good lead on the A.I.R. Diverter and gonna start looking for the front plastics to mount the air filters into the bumper like stock. The Pass side wiring harness, I am going only with a 1986 harness. I found one for $100, The guy I am getting the TPI from is looking to see if he still has the wiring harness but if not I will buy the one for $100. I hope to have most parts by the weekend. Have you done this changeover? Is the throttle throttle cable the same? I would think it is but has a different mounting system on the TPI. Thanks for the advicce and help.
Tony

When I did my converstion to TPI, I use inline pump mounted in the back above the rear where the rubber fual lines connect into the metal fual lines that run to the front of the car. I am still using the orgianl metal fual lines that came on the car.