Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

hah.. oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC
Engine: 350 TPI (block was swapped)
Transmission: 700r4 w/corvette servo
Axle/Gears: no idea
hah.. oil

sweet, I finally get it all back together, had some problems with the valve lash, and timing. I got it to a point where I could start it and keep it running as long as I had my foot giving it gas, no idea as to how to make it actually idle fine :\

So I figure Ill take it out of the garage and go around the block to see how it feels, it sounded fine enough to drive, I just couldnt let it go under 1000 rpm, otherwise it would just die, also I had a slight squeeking noise while it ran.

So I start it and try to pull out of the garage, i get about half way out and it stalls. Its still squeeking too. So I say never mind and decide to put it back in. I get it back in, and open the hood. I notice the engine was EXTREMLY HOT. also I had a nice long drip of oil following my car, thats also when I noticed that a lot of oil was inside my engine bay spattered randomly. The valve covers are tight, they shouldnt be leaking in fact I dont see any oil coming from them. I had a friend of mine start the car and keep it around 1500 rpm. I notice a lot of oil dripping from one spot so I go to check it out. Its dripping near the fuel pump, where it attatches to the block. Also I see oil in that general area. I cant figure out where the hell the oil is coming from, I never took off the timing chain cover so I dont think it would be that but im not saying it isnt.

I came to the conclusion the squeeking noise that I heard was the oil that managed to get on my belt or on my pullys. I figure the engine was REALLY hot because the water pump wasnt turning as much as it should.

how the hell do I clean oil off the pullys and belt. also any ideas on where the oil could be coming from?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
um... it could also be very hot from having NO OIL. Or being a fresh rebuild, things are kinda tight. Or really retarded timing. Did your car have a mechanical fuel pump on it? Did you use a block off plate to seal the hole up? I think there also might be a threaded hole in that area at the front of the block that oil can come through. You might as well get new belts and some degreaser while you're at the store.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
As always, I'm guessing the smog pump has been hacked off your car?

Put a short bolt in the upper of the 2 bolt holes for its bracket, with a drop of silicone on its threads, on the pass side front of the block down low.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:43 AM

well yeah the smog pump has been removed. The confusing thing that I dont understand is the fact that it wasnt leaking this hardcore before I took it apart. Yeah it does seem like oil is coming out of no where kinda where the bolt holes for the smog pump bracket were. But there were never bolts there and I never removed any *bought the car like that* I checked my oil level, it was a lot more full than full. but I didnt add any extra oil.

really confusing

also, the fuel pump is attached to the block. and is the belt useless now that it got the oil on it?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:50 PM

never mind, who cares where the oil was coming out of.

I started my car and drove down my street, blew a rod through the side of my oil pan

>.<

YAY *cough*
Old 06-21-2005, 02:55 PM

http://img297.echo.cx/img297/2884/hole2ll.jpg

thats the hole
Old 06-21-2005, 04:19 PM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 350 (CCC QJet)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 9 bolt
WTF!

BTW, when you noticed your oil level went up, that isnt a good sign. Me thinks you werent paying to much attention, and caused your own problems...

Good luck next time

BTW, what is all that white area...
Old 06-21-2005, 04:21 PM

white area = paper towel or my arm

yeah i probably did cause my own problems.

this sucks im going to have to spend another like 600 bucks to get this thing running solid again BLAH