Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

intermediate shaft? steering shaft? rag joint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
intermediate shaft? steering shaft? rag joint?

I just replaced my steering gear box and it only fixed half of the play in the steering wheel. the steering is really nice when i am turning, but if i am going straight, it is hard to keep her from wandering. is there any adjustments on the gear box besides the one on the top in the middle of the four bolts for the pitman arm? i already adjusted that so it is tighter. the only thing i think the play can be from is the intermediate shaft...or steering shaft with the rag joint, or whatever you want to call it. Does anybody know where i can get one of these shafts? i cant find them anywhere. thanks a lot.

btw...everything on the front end has been replaced:
idler arm
both sides, tie rods inner and outer
drag link
both ball joints
pitman arm
steering gear box
steering column

thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 10:06 AM

Car: VIN=85 T/A, CAR=82/3 T/A gfx, go figure. She's a T/A anyway!
Engine: 5.0, Holley 600 cfm 4-barrel
Transmission: THM350 ??
Is the flexible coupling (rag joint?) ok? I had to replace mine because it was completely knackered. I think my supplier got one under the Help! brand?

Have you checked for stress cracks near the steering box? If the box is flexing away from the frame rail then that will cause problems (I know!).

Cheers,
Mark.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:12 AM

i checked the frame to see if it was cracked and it was fine. It was hard for me to tell if the rag joint was okay...i was going to just replace the whole shaft. thanks a lot for the reply mark. do you know where i can get a whole intermediate shaft with the joint on it? thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 10:22 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
Have someone turn the wheel while you're looking at the shaft and linkage so you can see where the movement stops. You may be able to do this yourself by turning the shaft at the firewall by hand. Slide the cover off the rag joint while turning and you'll see any slop.

I would advise against tightening the steering box adjustment on a new or reman box, they should be set when you get them. If you must adjust it (after you've checked everything else), pull it out and set it to proper specs. Overtightening can kill them quick and cause wandering and steering overcorrection.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:43 AM

yeah, there is a little slop in the shaft. i want a whole new one, any one know where i can get one? i cant find one. i have looked for intermediate shaft, lower steering column shaft, rag joint, everything and i cant find one. thanks for your help
Old 07-19-2005, 05:23 AM

Car: VIN=85 T/A, CAR=82/3 T/A gfx, go figure. She's a T/A anyway!
Engine: 5.0, Holley 600 cfm 4-barrel
Transmission: THM350 ??
Sorry no idea yet where you can get a new shaft...
Old 07-19-2005, 08:52 AM

dealership can get me a new shaft for $162. but he said the rag joint probably wouldnt be included with the shaft. so i might need to just do my rag joint. i am kind of nervous about doing this as i only have a dremel. what do you think? and does anyone have a p/n for that rag joint or know of a rag joint eliminator?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:55 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 6-Speed
Info on replacing the rag joint is in this thread here: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...ight=rag+joint

As far as buying one from the dealer, the rag joint is riveted to the shaft so I can't imagine it wouldnt come with the shaft. But I thought GM discontinued our shafts? Either way, you can get the rag joint itself for cheap and break 4 rivets and bolt it on, or buy the whole assembly (HELP / Motormite part) and just break the 2 rivets and bolt on the whole assembly..
Old 07-19-2005, 10:28 PM

can i get those rivets out with a dremel? and is this a fairly easy task?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:25 PM

just bought part number 31008 to replace my old rag joint. i cant believe that thing is 40 dollars. it was tempting to say screw them and walk out with it...but i would have felt too guilty. Will this part fit my car? its a 91 trans am 305 tpi. and is it hard to get the rivets out of the shaft? will a dremel be sufficient? thanks
Old 07-20-2005, 06:43 PM

sorry for the triple post, but i just went out to my car and grabbed the intermediate shaft and moved it back and forth, it seemed like everything was moving fine, even the gear on the gear box, it would wiggle until it caught on something...any ideas? i am so lost, i dont want to replace this rag joint unless it needs to...i can get my 40$ back...thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 02:04 PM

i just pulled out that shaft...any thing i should check for while it is out?...also, anything i should check on the gear box while the gear is exposed? thanks
Old 10-07-2021, 07:18 PM

Car: 1988 FORMULA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4spd auto
Axle/Gears: standard
Re: intermediate shaft? steering shaft? rag joint?

Or you can eliminate the whole rag joint an go with after market with ujoints istead, which is what I am looking into now.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:26 AM

Re: intermediate shaft? steering shaft? rag joint?

Originally Posted by ElementsofSpeed
I just replaced my steering gear box and it only fixed half of the play in the steering wheel. the steering is really nice when i am turning, but if i am going straight, it is hard to keep her from wandering. is there any adjustments on the gear box besides the one on the top in the middle of the four bolts for the pitman arm? i already adjusted that so it is tighter. the only thing i think the play can be from is the intermediate shaft...or steering shaft with the rag joint, or whatever you want to call it. Does anybody know where i can get one of these shafts? i cant find them anywhere. thanks a lot.

btw...everything on the front end has been replaced:
idler arm
both sides, tie rods inner and outer
drag link
both ball joints
pitman arm
steering gear box
steering column

thanks
I have a 93 Blazer Silverado (Full Size). I to replaced everything and then some that you did. One item I replaced was the steering box with a redhead rebuilt. After all the parts and installation Blazer still wandered bad as before. Like you I got the bright idea to tighten the nbolt a top the gear box, before I did, called redhead. I was told everyone thinks tightening is the fix. He told me to mark the bolt and back it off 1/8th ( yes back it off). and drive the blazer. if it was still sloppy back off another 1/8 never more. I did and steering improved 100%. Still wanders but nothing like before. With everything replaced and still wandering more than it should, Im going to replace the center steering link with a Borgesen unit. It deletes the rag joint with machined universal links. Ill post with results