Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

EGR solenoid Clicking??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: BuiLt 350! Hooker 2055's
Transmission: T5-manual trans-centerforce clutch
EGR solenoid Clicking??????

hey guys, did a search couldnt find anything. today i was driveing my car, 84 TA which i just completed 350 swap on recently. everytime i take it out i have a prob, radiator, alternator, hose, clutch slave, but i guess thats to be expected on such an old car with a new engine thrown in it. anyways. today my egr sol. started clicking soon as i turn the key on, it just makes a constant slicking sound. i know this was not happeneing before because its very audible. this mean it went bad or something? better to drive with it hooked up or unhooked till i get a new one if thats the case? also my cc mixture sol. is clicking with the key on before engine start but seems to stop once the engine is started. i did have a vapor lock issue today i think and car stalled on me twice and wouldnt start. think it was because i was useing the original hardline to go from my elec. pump at rear of car and the hardline was right next to within an 1/8inch on the headers, so i relocated that a little bit so now its like 5 inches from the header so i hope that fixed that but dont know if the cc mix solenoid clickin is related to that or not, but ya thanks for help, thought id involve a little background info.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:55 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
From my experience, the MC solenoid clicking with the key on is completely normal. It should also be clicking after the engine has started, or it is not controlling fuel mixture.

I suspect the EGR solenoid is similar, but have never noticed it. The EGR will not open until the vacuum source is applied via the timed port on the carburetor and TVS (if equipped) in the cooling jacket.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:52 PM

hrm, i dont know, just seems odd for it to be clicking all of a sudden, i know it was never doing it before, its pretty loud, real obvious. guess ill leave it hooked up and drive it and see how it goes.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 PM

Car: 1986 camaro z28
Engine: 350sbc
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: stock axle with 4.11's
Re: EGR solenoid Clicking??????

i have same problem with egr solenoid...if its clicking its bad its not appose to do that...i went to junkyard to find a new one but none that are like mine all off later years which are slightly different...they discontinued the part and i have not been able to find a new one yet...your car will not idle without it in less you bypass the egr
Old 04-28-2008, 11:48 PM

that makes sense cause my idle is all over the place
Old 05-29-2016, 11:41 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 5.0 H.O.
Transmission: Auto

Found you can mod an 88 Egr solenoid to fit, you just need the new style plug and make sure to pay attention to wires a and b....however replacing with a brand new one, mine still clicks with key on but stops after vacuum engages