Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

signs of a bad power steering pump? torque arm questions, steering box Q's... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
signs of a bad power steering pump? torque arm questions, steering box Q's... HELP!

It was cold the other night leaving work, and started my car... it stalled (I don't think that has anything to do with the pump, more like my car is a POS), started it again and it ran fine, but when I went to turn the wheel to get out of the parking space, it make a loud squeel... not like an alternator sqeel, but a powersteering squeel... it might sound funny to some, but each accessory makes it's own funny noises...

could I just flush the fluid and refill? I'm sure it's never been done... where are the lines for it, how do I refill...

If I need to replace the pump how hard is it to do, what one do I need to buy... I undertsnad there is a keyway and nonkeyway sanigaw pump???

Also. How do I clean my steering box and take the slack out of that as well? sometimes when I turn my wheel I'll get a click, or a hard pop/bump type thing...

Also, does anyone have any pictures of a torque arm? Someone said mine be loose because of a bump/jolt I get from the rear end when going over bumps...

------------------
1985 Camaro SC - 2.8L, auto.

C'mon, spin 'em for papa...
http://www.xenodrgn.f2s.com/Frontright.jpg
Old 11-23-2001, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TTT