Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Easy way to check for bad valves/busted springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy way to check for bad valves/busted springs?

Hi guys,
My Z has been running like complete s**t for quite a while now and checked all the stuff you guys recommended (Thanks). The car doesn't even start up, but it has spark and fuel..the carb has been re-done by Holley and myself. The intake has been taken off to check for cracks, so I called this guy to ask him if he can think of anything else but this guy said maybe it's an intake valve or spring busted. YIKES!!!!
Let me bring you all up to speed on the situation if you haven't read my former posts. I was leaving a buds house and got on it, about 4-4500 and the baby backfired. It barely got home..while the car was bucking and shaking. I got it home and checked a few things but the car was running (barely) and stinking up the garage so I shut her down for the next day. I checked the timing, 100%, then kept it running and threw a vacuum gauge on it. 5" in drive...sprayed some carb cleaner, shot up to 10". I thought blown power valve, changed it - no diff. Then the car wouldn't even start up and when it did you had to keep playing with the gas pedal to keep running, while smoke is pissing out the pipes, blue..black..grey...you name it. I totally have low to no vacuum in this thing.
So I had the carb re-done and put it back on, nothing...but the smoke..oh man. Which brings me to now. I took the intake off and found nothing wrong, no bent pushrods, rockers look ok...anyway my question (sorry so long) is there an easy way to see if a valve has s**t the bed? Or to see if a spring busted? Would this cause such a major drop in vacuum, the car originally had around 14". My set up is, 350 bored 60 over, Edelbrock RPM manifold, Holley 650DP, Crane Cam 268/280 454/480, hooker Headers, AFR 190 Heads, Crane Gold Rockers, and many other mods...any help would be so appreciated, I'm ready to kill it!!!
Old 11-27-2001, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
I don't know if you'd consider this easy, but do a compression check on all your cylinders. I'd imagine if you had an intake valve hanging open that it'd drop the vacuum big time. Have you taken off the valve covers and visually inspected the springs yet? If not, do that first.

------------------
91 Z28
Come see The Vicious...