Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Common repair myths....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 Crate Motor
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73
A friend of mine swears by the "mothballs in the gas tank".
Of course he says we haven't been to the moon either!
Seen a neighbor fill his daughter's power steering pump with motor oil.
A guy I know had a problem with his car running rough.After looking at it for a couple minutes, I told him to shut it off and I checked the oil (among other things).Thing must have had fifteen quarts of oil in it! (69 Nova w/stock pan)
He said, he thought when the oil pressure was low that he was supposed to add oil, and since the motor was worn out, it always read low and he just kept adding oil.
He was amazed at how much better it ran after we drained the oil and refilled it with the correct amount.
-Rich-
Old 03-14-2002, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 85 Berl
Forgot to attach the pic.
I can hear it now. The V8 says to the V4....

"I will call him mini-me"
Old 03-14-2002, 10:37 AM

I can hear it now. The V8 says to the V4...."I will call him mini-me"
lmao
Old 03-14-2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by 82camaro
Oil pan full of screws on a mid 80's caprice. Leaking oil all over. I ask the customer to come down and take a look at it. He says"I usually change my own oil, you see, the oil plug is stuck. So I drill a small hole in the oil pan to drain the oil. Then I replace it with a sheet metal screw. They seep a little bit. I brought it to you guys because I've ran out of places to drill a hole and was hoping you could get the oil plug out" Should have taken a picture of that one. I'm really not sure why he didn't reuse the same hole each time, but I didn't ask.

I better quit now, I have way too many stories.
OMG, ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read this one to a bunch of my buddies here at work and we're all dying over here!!! That is TOO #%^ing funny!!!!

Quit? Don't quit now, keep them coming!!!!
Old 03-14-2002, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Grand National
Engine: 3.8 SFI Turbo
Transmission: BRF 200R4
Oh this is great. Here's one. I was talking to a guy that was convinced that fords could beat chevys any day of the weak. His theory was that they were more reliable and could take more **** then GM motors. He gave me an example of a truck he owned having spun a bearing. So he took the engine out, took off the pan, took out the chewed to hell bearing and replaced it with a piece of his leather belt. He said that the belt was still in the engine and it has 100,000 more miles on it since then. OK!! Whatever. I have heard of this being done to tractor engines but they were only temporary fixes. But give me a break...100,000 damn miles. BS!!! Anyway this guy is the same one who told me that he drove a 1000HP mustang that ran on methonal on the street and did wheelies without warming the slicks.

Another genius I met told me that my engine should be turning over 9000 rpms and that it would hold together fine. I have a 4 bolt main LM1 engine with a completely stock bottom end. Whats sad is that this guy is supposedly a respected mechanic. oh well.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
I forgot this one......

The hub caps on by buddy's 1st Gen Z-28 kept getting stolen. He wanted to install one longer stud on each hub so he could bolt on those hub cap cables to it.

The guy behind the counter at the NAPA store wouldn't sell him the studs or have their machine shop press the studs because:

"That longer stud will throw the balance all off and is dangerous".

"At highway speeds your wheels are turning 4000 rpm".

What a dope.

Old 03-14-2002, 02:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Sexy
Engine: Stock
Transmission: Slipping
The first day I got my 61 VW Bug I took it to Econo Lube & Tune on 22nd street here to have the oil changed since it was sitting for over a year.

1. The guy couldn't find reverse. This isn't too surprising since you have to push down on the stick and shift near second.

2. He couldn't find the screw-on oil filter. I know I should've stopped everything at this point.

3. They put 4 quarts of oil in it.

An 1192cc VW engine takes 2.5 quarts of oil. On the way home, I had oil shooting out of the dipstick tube, and it blew out both O-rings on the oil cooler.

When I bought my Iroc, instead of a torque arm bushing, it had 2 shop rags in it.

We actually got my friend's sister to drive down to Checker to purchase turn signal fluid.

A mechanic working on my mom's 68 VW fastback left a rag inside the crankcase when he reassembled it (or so I was told.) Around 20 miles into the trip home, the car promptly caught fire and burned down to the ground. It burned hot enough for the heads to melt into puddles.
Old 03-14-2002, 02:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
Remember not too long ago when my mom still owned her blazer, (the POS that I have now...) she took it in to have the tires replaced.
Anyhow, about a moth later she calls me out to look at it. She was complaning that it just wasnt as smooth as it used to be. To my surprise, the lugs on allt eh wheels were just hand tightened. I dont know how they managed to stay on. Broke 5 studs w/ that little boo boo.
NEVER take anything Classic Chevy dealer again.
Old 03-14-2002, 02:09 PM
Supreme Member

Nother funny one was a guy i heard of that worked at jiffy lube. Real SOB, he was. After an oil chainge he forgot to put oil in the guys car. After it seazed up he pulled out a breaker bar and some Marvel Mystery oil anmd proceded to break it loose while casually conversing w/ the guy who owned it and told him this was normal maitnence.
Old 03-14-2002, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Nother great story about that s-10 is when the heater core hoses blew out. She spun that engine up to about 5800 rpm at which point it cut out b/c of the rev limiter and the hoses for teh core blew b/c of the pressure and being old. Well... she just kept going and going and going w/o a thaught. By the time she got home the passenger side was FULL of coolant and the engine was smoking and making a *** awful racket. The only reply she could give to me as I stood there astonished was "I thought there was nonthing wrong, like, isnt it just windshield washer fluid or something?"

Oh, and another funny one was the time she went without changing the oil for about 20000 some odd miles or so and was surprised when it overheated, almost froze up, and blew another heater core hose.
And the DAMN THING STILL RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a true chevy believer after that!

Last edited by dimented24x7; 03-14-2002 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2002, 02:45 PM
Supreme Member

Oh... lol.. Im gonna be selling it soon so if you see a 4WD white S-10 Blazer with a Vortec for sale in the moorestown area, for the love of ***, dont buy it! I dont want to screw any of you guys over.
Old 03-14-2002, 04:05 PM

About a year or so ago when i had the firebird.Me and my cousin had my aunt(who has worked on cars all her life) believing that the flux capacitor in my car was gone bad and had her call Pontiac and ask for a replacement.The guy started laughing his *** off so we looked at each other and we busted out laughing so hard we where crying.She immediately hung up the phone and was pissed.from then on she hasnever helped me work on my car since.by the way for any one that doesn't know what a flux capacitor is,it the y shaped thing on the back the the future car:sillylol: :sillylol: :sillylol:
Old 03-14-2002, 04:33 PM
Supreme Member

A guy that drove my cab at night, back about 15 years ago, insisted that I have "winter air" put in the tires, once November rolled around. I stared at him for about two minutes but he was completely serious.
he might have been talking about Nitrogen gas instead of oxygen. The Nitrogen Gas doesnt expand and contrast like oxygen........................

i always get..."hey thats a nice CAMARO!!" lol,, gotta love it.(i drive a TA)... now i just say,, thanks and walk away.
Old 03-14-2002, 05:33 PM

i always get..."hey thats a nice CAMARO!!" lol,, gotta love it.(i drive a TA)... now i just say,, thanks and walk away
the same thing happens to me
Old 03-14-2002, 05:51 PM

I get the same freakin thing! Did they miss the TRANS AM decal? I hate it when a girl asks what kind of car I drive. "What's a Trans Am? What's a Firebird look like? Oh, like a Camaro?"

A few years ago my drivers ed instructor told us about a teacher at our highschool who said he needed help changing his flat tire. Have you ever seen those hub caps with fake lug nuts on them? Well the teacher had broken two of them off before he went to get help. And these people are supposed to educate us?

-Brian
Old 03-14-2002, 06:42 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally posted by robbob
The best joke I've seen played is to ask some newbie at a parts counter to look for a water pump for a 69 Volkswagon Beetle.
Took the guy over an hour before we came clean about it.
That's about as nasty as going to the FBO and asking to have the camshaft checked in that F4-U (Avatar). The Wright radials certainly were hard on camshafts...

Second car?
Old 03-15-2002, 12:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
mmm... maybe I should try to go to the parts counter and find some hi comp pistons for my car
or a cam shaft

hell I would even go for some good valves
Old 01-09-2003, 09:49 AM

Back from the dead...too funny to die..

I worked as a GM Service tech for awhile after high school, on and off in different shops etc...I also worked 2nd jobs in Auto Parts stores sometimes when I was stateside in the Army...this makes for LOTS of funny stuff.

There was the woman who came in and said her husband wanted the engine in her Blazer replaced under warranty because it was junk and made such noise. I asked the normal questions, and eventually the wife let the cat out of the bag. She said the truck was fine until her husband went to change the oil the weekend before. A little more persuasion, and she told me how he drained the oil, replaced the filter etc. She said it sounded fine when he cranked it up. He left it running while he cleaned up, and when he came back out it was knocking. About that time the wife noticed the husband had left the bag with the OIL in it, inside the house The warranty was voided on a truck with LESS than 10k miles on it...

Or the time a guy came in with this AWESOME looking woman. She had every guy in place going nuts. So the guy gets out of his truck, making sure everyone is watching her get out as well. He walks up to the Service writer and gets an attitude. Says we did a brake job on his truck the week before and now it makes all kinds of noise, it doesn't have much power, runs like crap etc..He says he's "checked everything over" and we need to replace this and that etc... The whole time NO ONE is even looking at the guy, just the woman

So, curious, since I remember the truck and I had done the brake job, I walked over to it and opened the door. I crank it up, and I notice the big red BRAKE warning light is lit. After a quick look, I walk back over and asked the guy if the BRAKE warning light had been coming on..and he's like "Yeah, ever since you guys worked on it...I figured you screwed that up too..."

TRYING my best to keep a straight face, I tell him that the light was on, because the emergency brake was still on.... The woman started smiling, and EVERY person in that shop was on the floor laughing at the poor SOB..

ANOTHER....

My best friend and I used to help run this full service gas station on the weekends, and we'd do pretty much whatever mechanical work we felt like at the time...all the labor was ours to keep, since the owner told us we didn't have to turn wrenches.

This guy comes in BRIGHT and EARLY one Saturday morning, and he walks in to the shop and asks my buddy if we were qualified to work on "classic automobiles"...we said sure, and getting excited we walked outside to see what he had....

It was a friggin AMC PACER with the wood paneling and it was ORANGE!!!!!! The whole time he was DEAD serious about it being so valuable, and is baby... so just as serious, we told him that we wouldn't feel comfortable working on such an exotic, classic car and he should take it to this certain shop ( friends of ours ).

The called me later on STILL LAUGHING!!!

Later
Old 01-09-2003, 11:45 AM

i'll never forget a certain lady who came into the shop one morning, i consider her to be the stupidest human being i've ever met.

A geo metro pulled into my stall, the service writer pops out of it. "oil leak, put it up and see what you can do".

So i put it in the air, the drain plug was a little loose, no big deal. Then i notice the factory oil filter is on it....and it has surface rust!

So i drop it back down, look inside and see it has 23000 miles on it, and still has the "First oil change due at 3000 miles" sticker in the corner window.

So i inform the service writer about it, he smiles broadly and comes over to check the car out with me. I pulled the dipstick, looked like there was crude oil on there, and it smelled heavily of gasoline.

The writer went and talked with the lady, he comes back and informs me she dosnt want the oil changed. Ok, fine by me, i hopped in, started it up (it sounded like a washing machine) and pulled it out into the lot and parked it.

Right after i get out of the car, this older obese lady comes right up to me, sticks her finger out at me and says "why didnt you park it right by the door?" (i parked it about 4 spaces away from the door).

I was very confused for a second, and did a double take at the door. "well maam, as i'm sure you can see, there's other cars parked in the spaces by the door".

she replies angrily "well you saw i was standing right by the door".

"well no maam, i didnt see you were standing right by the door. and even if i did how would i know this is your car?"

Her eyes shot fire at me, "Whatever, just give me the keys!".

I start walking back to the shop, "i cant do that maam, you got to square everything away with the service writer first".

She started shouting loudly "This is my car! I want my damn keys". I just ran into the shop and tossed the keys to the writer, "she's all yours pal" i yelped and ran back to my stall.

Boy did she make a scene. Long story short, she didnt owe any money, but they needed her to sign a waiver saying she declined having the oil changed and hence voiding her warrenty. She just stood there for about 45 minutes ranting that we were holding her car hostage. It took about 6 people to get her to sign the waiver and get her out of there.

So....about 2 hours later guess what a tow-truck brought back in with a seized up engine?
Old 01-09-2003, 11:52 AM

This thread is hilarious. Im not gonna tell you guys some of the dumb **** ive said before i started learning, but thanks for the laugh.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23
We have an 90hp outboard V4 on our boat

not really a myth, but I love the look on kids faces at school when I tell them I have a 305
"305?! No way! Thats freakin huge!!" lol, guess thier used to 1.8s.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
Originally posted by 85_ZED28
We have an 90hp outboard V4 on our boat

not really a myth, but I love the look on kids faces at school when I tell them I have a 305
"305?! No way! Thats freakin huge!!" lol, guess thier used to 1.8s.
LMAO!!!!!! The sad part is........

They probably think you mean 305 Liters!!!!!!!

That's a lot of Mountain Dew bottles. LMFAO!!!!!! :sillylol:
Old 01-09-2003, 04:33 PM

Car: 91 camaro rs
V4's do exist!

In the UK we had some Ford cars with a V4! The Ford Corsair was one. But this was WAY back in the 60's or 70's.
I'll try and find a photo of this!
Didn't last very long.

Andy.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Had a red-neck bring his Blazer into our shop for a tune-up.
The guy had removed his eng driven fan and installed electric radiator fans. The fans were mounted on the eng side of the radiator and set-up so they blowed from the eng compartment fwd thru the grill. I asked him how it ran on the highway. He said it ran a little hot but wasn't sure why.

Had another truck come in. The guy said it was knocking on acceleration after we did a tune up.
Jumped inside, started it and started to power-brake it.
The left side of the eng came up abt 6". The fan started chewing on the fan shroud. The guy says " there, there's that sound".

A fellow tech just bought a Snap-On IAC tester that allowed the IAC to be driven in and out using a switch.
I really well endowed female customer brought in her car for a low idle problem. The tech pulled the IAC, hooked-up the tester, and sure enough the IAC was intermittently sticking. He called the lady back to were the car was and showed her the IAC was sticking. All the techs had stopped working to enjoy the view. As he was messing around with the tester, he held it to the extend position a little to long. The plunger of the IAC shoots off and hits the lady right between the breasts and falls down her shirt.
Every guy in the shop had tears running down their faces.

Suggested to an owner that his tires needed to be rotated.
Owner replies "don't the tires rotate when I drive it?"

Had an automotive dunce in my high school auto shop class.
He wanted to change the plugs in his 67 mustang, but didn't know how many he needed. We told him to count the wires on the dist cap and buy that many plugs. He comes back with 9 plugs..
Old 01-09-2003, 04:40 PM

Car: 91 camaro rs
There you go! Told you so!

Notice the 2 HT leads per side!!

Andy.
Attached Thumbnails Common repair myths....-v4.jpg  
Old 01-09-2003, 05:01 PM

More Good ones.....keep it up...

We had a GORGEOUS woman come into the dealership and walk right up to the service writer and said.....and I quote

" I need a mount job...got the time?"

The service writer was a real quiet, straight-laced type...he didn't know what to say.

My buddy one stall over saw her walk in while he was finishing up a water pump install. He was in ear shot when she said this...and in mid-swig of a Mountain Dew. He shot Mtn Dew from his nostrils a good 3 feet.........

Another time......and this TRUE, I swear......

This guy brings a car into the shop because it's overheating. Turns out the thermostat was bad. It was replaced, but the guy didn't realize the car had JUST gone out of warranty. When presented with the bill, he was notified that he was out of the warranty period because of the mileage on the car.

He fought it, and then INSISTED we install the old thermostat AND antifreeze back in the car because we hadn't cleared the repair ( out of warranty ) with him. Guess he figured the manager would cave and give to him for free. That same day the service manager had been served his divorce papers from his then wife.

The service manager PERSONALLY put the old thermostat back in the car ( from the trashcan ) and then pumped it full of coolant from the recycle tank!!!!! I guess it wasn't the right time to push him huh??

Later
Chris
85 IROC
A few mods
Old 01-09-2003, 05:02 PM

Engine: slowtacular L03 305
Transmission: slushem 700r4
A friend of mine works at an Oriely's parts store and i swear they have the weirdest computer system ever. First off when i had my 78 320i it would always ask if my car was 2 or 4 door. The only problem is that the car only came with one engine in the us and that run of the 3 series never came with 4 doors. He has also had it ask if a firebird was a fwd or rwd. He has about a half million other oddities that either make no differance or are impossible combo's come up as questions. Then their is always the S10 group. One of em has a dual exaust on his S10. i mean a real dual exaust. The only problem is that its a stock 4cyl meaning it actually runs slower now. Proving yet again that just because bigger cars need it to go faster, doesn't mean it works for you. YOU NEED SOME BACK PRESSURE!
Old 01-09-2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Nitroburn
Please.... we can't forget the "Muffler Bearing" !!!!

------------------
89 T-Top Firebird 305 TBI Project Car (with approval from my wife!)

dude i know all about that one!!! but the sad thing is.....i work in a toyota parts department and new models toyotas the mufflers are kinda "smart mufflers". there is a valve inside them that opens up when there is enough exhaust gas pressure that will re-rout the exhaust through a less restrictive path. kind of like the old gmp VOE (vacuum operated exhaust) on the old gtos. the bearings for those valves eventually go fubar and the valve will either stick open or stick shut. doesn't hurt the muffler or anything but yes......MUFFLER BEARINGS DO EXHIST! lmao.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 FORMULA 350, 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: ls1, LB9
Transmission: t56, Auto
Axle/Gears: S60/ 3.73
what about " my brakes are sqeeking ! , can you put oil on them for me?"
Old 01-09-2003, 08:30 PM

ROFLMAO, these things are great. Don't stop now!
Old 01-09-2003, 09:29 PM

1.work as a tech at a boat repair place, told the new guy to go get a can of Prop Wash to clean the lower unit after a dyno test....took him about 15min and he came out and said he could not find it....we sent him to the hardware store to get a new can and they just laughed at him and sent him back....boy was he mad.

2. another, I was in a motorcycle shop, this guy walks in and asks to get a new power band for his honda 4-wheeler..the manager laughs and tells him $150 installed, the guy waited a while and said yes he needed it by the weekend so he could go rideing again......dont know what happened there.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45
I went to autozone a few months ago to get a 160 degree thermostat to help cool down my car a bit (probably a myth in itself :P ). I first went to the aisle with all the t-stats on it, but they are only labeled by part number. So I went to the counter and asked the guy if they sold a 160 degree thermostat for an 83 firebird. The idiot looked at me as if I had asked if they sold porno or something, and told me a 160 degree thermostat would make the car run too cold, so the ECM would advance timing, richen the mixture and cause the engine to detonate. This is a summary of what he said by the way, it probably took him 5 minutes to explain what I just did in a single sentence. I then said 'thank you' in a very sarcastic manner, went down the road to O'Reillys and asked for the same part. The guy working behind the counter there said, "sure, let me get it for you; you know i've got one on my chevelle and it works great." Shows you what the average Autozone assclown knows.

Lol, the post above mine reminds me of a joke my friend played on a new employee when he worked at jiffy lube. A woman dropped of an old volkswagen beetle for inspection, and the manager and my friend told the new kid that she needed a new radiator cap. They sent him to autozone to find one, and a couple hours later he returned without one. The saddest thing is of al lthe autozones and other parts stores he went to, no one even seemed to realize that a VW beetle is air cooled

Last edited by Ward; 01-10-2003 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:22 PM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: manual
Not really tech related, but when i was a car salesman we used to always play jokes on each other. We got this new salesman who just wanted a demo really bad. so he comes up to me one day and asks me how he can get one, and he is really starting to annoy me. so i just picked up a spare key that was lying right in front of him and said this is the key to my demo. if you can find the car with just this key you can drive my demo for a month. This guy was walking the lot for hours in the august heat here in texas for almost two hours looking for my demo.. man it was hilarious, all the other salesmen were dying laughing at this guy.. he was very determined.. finally i had to give in, i couldnt believe he would even try. I mean i just picked up a random key right in front of him, not like i put it in my pocket first or anything.. some people just completely turn their brains off at times..
Old 01-10-2003, 05:18 PM

Another no oil change story, I was the service manager at Jim Burke Motors in Birmingham a few years ago, a lady brings her 3.1L 94 Cavalier in as a lease turn in, the tech that did the DI on the car req me come and take a look at the car befor he changed the oil, I go to look at it and while the car is at idle it was running a little rough, he checked the oil and nothing on the dip stick, he pulled the drain plug and a big glob of black substance came out and was only about 4oz. and had the original filter still on it with rust all the was through, the thick oil had cloted and stopped up the rust hole from leaking, the car had 42,000 miles on it and lady had never changed the oil, when asked about the maintaince on the car she replied the car had never had any work done to it what so ever and the salesman never told her about haveing to change any oil. When the tech changed the oil the engine lasted about one hour and give up, the dealer chared the lady for the cost of repairs along with haveing to pay for too many miles on the lease. This was her 1st new car and said she did'nt know she had to do anything exept put gas in it........some people should not be allowed to drive!
Old 01-11-2003, 02:53 AM

Car: 1988 Mustang GT
Engine: 302
Originally posted by Vader
That's about as nasty as going to the FBO and asking to have the camshaft checked in that F4-U (Avatar). The Wright radials certainly were hard on camshafts...

Second car?
didn't corsairs have P&W radials?
Old 01-11-2003, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 84 Z-28 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: richmond 3.73, eaton posi
yeah, they had R-2800 double wasps(two rows of cylenders 9 each, 18 total)rated at 2000 hp at full military power at sea leavel, and 2500 with water injection(F4U-3b and later only), and the goodyear F2G corsair (godyear built modified ones them under liceiens- kinda like yenko did for chevys) had a Wasp Mojor that was 4 banks of 9 cylenders- that makes 36 in all- it had just over 4000 hp and used a 4 stage supercharger(if anybody knows wat a stage is on a supercharger please tell me). Cyclones were used on B-17 and brewster buffalows among others (I appoligze for all the spelling errors)
Old 01-12-2003, 06:59 PM

Wow. I must be losing it. I thought the P&W Twin Wasp was a 18-cylinder stacked radial engine, but the R-XXXX designations (like the R-3350s in the B-29s and P-47s) were reserved for the Wrights, like the two-stack 2,800 SHP 18-cylinder. I get so easily confused... You're right (or, Wright) since apparently both Pratt and Wright used the "R" designations.

I know that some of the four-stack seven cylinder (28 total jugs) "Majors" were built by P&W and produced 3,500 SHP with a charger. There is a C-97 on static display near Dodgeville, WI with four of those engines in the nacelles. They're pretty impressive to look at, even if they have bird's nests in them. Apparently, some of the late B-29s got them, too, among others. An F4-U with that kind of power almost couldn't carry enough prop area to use it. They must've used five blades like the Aussies.

The four-stage superchagrer is basically an axial compressor that arragnges the discharge of one stage into the inlet of the next stage. Fairly high compression pressures are built that way, which helps a whole bunch at altitude. Remember that the aviation world calls a "turbo" a supercharger, too, since technically that is what it is - a turbo-supercharger. The "geniuses" in the automotive marketing field somehow shortened that term to "turbo" some time ago, and it stuck.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:44 PM

Car: 91 RS, 00 TA Ram Air, 86 IROC
Engine: 305 tbi, LS1, 355
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E, 700R4 NonLU
OK, try this one. Went to the super lube place with my wifes 95 S-10 Blazer. They changed the oil. Like I always do I stood there and watched, instead of waiting in the lounge. I never saw them remove the oil filter. They refilled the oil and cranked the motor. Checked for leaks and went through thier QC process. The man called me over to the counter to pay for the oil change and I asked him if they were going to change the oil filter also. The manager went around to the guys who did the oil change and asked them about the oil filter. None of them knew anything about it. The guys looked for the oil filter and couldn't find it. I finally showed them the little access panel on the skid plate with the words on it that said, " OIL FILTER ACCESS." They changed the filter, cranked the motor again and checked for leaks. I then told the manager to drain the oil again and put a new filter on the truck. Have not been back to that place since.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:41 PM

Car: 91 RS, 00 TA Ram Air, 86 IROC
Engine: 305 tbi, LS1, 355
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E, 700R4 NonLU
When I was in high school, I was cruising one Saturday night. At that time I had a 69 El Camino. I had an junk SBC crank in the back and I stopped to talk to some friends. This kid comes up and starts listening to us and glances into the back of my Elco. He spies the crank laying there and asks me what the lift and duration of that camshaft are. Then he asks me if he could buy it. I told him sure he could have for $50.00. He leaves and comes back with $50.00. I just couldn't stand it anymore and let him off the hook.

A fool and his money.............:rockon:
Old 01-12-2003, 09:44 PM

Car: 88 GTA, 94 BMW 840, SVX, Prelude
Engine: 383 w/ Super Ram
Transmission: built 700R4 auto
I spent one summer working as a porter at a Chevy dealership. We got some of the world's dumbest people in there. Here are a few of the good stories I can remember...

One very slow, HOT summer day, an old woman brought her car in (97 Malibu) and immediately got out and copped an attitude, saying "I want my A/C fixed RIGHT NOW, ever since I bought this piece of crap from you guys it hasn't worked, I'll never buy a Chevy again, bla bla. Car had @15k miles on it, BTW. She was causing such a ruckus that people started to trickle out of the back and watch. When she finishes ranting, the service manager goes over to the car, looks at the dash, and stifles a smile cause she was watching him like a hawk, ready to say "See? I told you so!" He pushes a button on the dash, ice cold air starts coming out almost immediately. He looks at her, and calmly says "You never turned it on." She turns beet red, and all of a sudden becomes aware of everyone watching, because of all of the muffled laughter behind her . A few guys were going red in the face, and tearing up! She gets in her lil 4 cylinder Malibu and floors it out of the garage. Nobody there saw her since.

Another time, a lady with a POS 6 cyl Camaro w/almost 175K miles on it came in to pick up her vehicle which was in for service. I drive it out to her, she gets in, and immediately gets back out b!tching up a storm. Look here you little motherf**er, I'm sick of you f**ing guys messing up my car, it's set how I want it, etc. etc. I asked her what was wrong, turns out she's all pissed about the driver's seat position being moved around . So I go to the service manager, tell him what her problem was, and he pulls the work order on it. He looks at it, then looks at me, says "are you serious? That car was in to have the driver's seat replaced!" He went out there, and she ended up leaving in a huff.

Another old lady comes in to pick up her car, I go get it and bring it out. Now, earlier this day it had rained pretty hard, but then cleared up and the sun came out. So all of the cars in the lot were wet. I bring it around, and get out, she's like "Whoa, whoa, what's all this ****?" (referring to the water droplets on the car. OMFG, here we go . She starts screaming and yelling about this, and I go get the service manager. He says "Don't worry ma'am, I'll take care of it." He then reaches inside and flicks on the wipers for a single swipe. He then looks at her, smiles, and says "All Better! " I'm sitting there trying not to LMAO, and she realizes she's not getting anywhere with this, and leaves all pissed off.

I think that the true stupidity of the general public cannot be fully comprehended until you work in a job where you have to deal with them. Many are complete wastes of space. It's beyond me how anyone can be so dense.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:07 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt SLP Torsen, 3.73 ratio
I took my car to NTB to have a tire replaced under warranty that got a huge bulge in the sidewall. I had to fight them because they said I MUST have hit a curb or a big bump...Eventually I got my way (The tire was 1 month old by the way had maybe 30 miles on it, and you could still see the molding marks on it, I drove well paved roads, and parked in a driveway, never parallel parked, not to mention it was the drivers side rear tire...) I figured for all the hassle they gave me I would neglect to tell them I had broken the unlocker for the b&m shifter that was attached, so I had disconnected the shift cable and was shifting the car through the shift cable. The guy gets out there starts the car, moves the shifter hits the gas....the car just revs up. He's in there about 5 minutes getting very distressed, finially I crack up and drive it onto the lift for them.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:37 PM

Car: Corvette
Engine: 5.7
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LilJayV10
[B]
if darwens theroy of evolution really is correct, why arent some of the people trees or dogs or something. wow
lil jay

------------------

hahaa
Old 01-12-2003, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by 82camaro
I use a V4 once in a while. It's not in a car though. It's on a buzz saw(35 inch blade). Wisconson-Robin I think. It's an old engine, rated at 25 hp.
Back when I was a mechanic for a living(going to college at the time), I was alignments, front end work,..... About 3 months after we installed tires on this couples 93 Lumina they called and were mad. Both of them on the phone complaining how the tires we sold them are defective and unsafe--on and on and on. Finally I got to speak and I told them to bring car in. They said it wasn't safe to drive brought in the tire they already had removed from the car(why it was removed I don't know). They showed up, I talked to them and asked what was wrong with the tire. They stood it up and let go--it fell to the ground--they looked at me. I asked is it going flat or what? They said, in unison, "Can't you see, it won't stand up by itself, it just falls over, why did you sell us a dangerous tire" I couldn't talk without laughing, so I got the manager to explain the situation. I listened in and they were going to take it to their mechanic and have the tires fully examined.
Ever watch a blonde put oil in through the dipstick tube--it's an experience.

"The brakes are squealing really bad, could you add some brake fluid?"

"You did not change the oil in my truck, the oil is still black"--Cummins Turbo Diesel "It does not hold more than 5 quarts" from the same person, same Cummins Turbo Diesel

Oil pan full of screws on a mid 80's caprice. Leaking oil all over. I ask the customer to come down and take a look at it. He says"I usually change my own oil, you see, the oil plug is stuck. So I drill a small hole in the oil pan to drain the oil. Then I replace it with a sheet metal screw. They seep a little bit. I brought it to you guys because I've ran out of places to drill a hole and was hoping you could get the oil plug out" Should have taken a picture of that one. I'm really not sure why he didn't reuse the same hole each time, but I didn't ask.

I better quit now, I have way too many stories.
no keep going
Old 01-13-2003, 12:01 AM

i have never worked in auto sales or anything. but i did do mobile electronics with a buddy of mine. and boy did we get some idiots in there. too many stupid **** to mention.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by killer305
yeah i know that you can bore the crank, i just dont see how it would add power, but i am 100% possitive that boring the cam is not a good thing to do

------------------
90 RS 305 tbi, 4 3/4" cowl Hood, Edelbrock TES headers, Flowmaster exhaust, Crane roller cam, comp roller rockers, vortec heads/intake, ported tbi, w/new injectors, MSD probillet Distributer/ coil, 1 inch tbi spacer, air foil, 14x4 k&n flat base air cleaner, Rebuilt 700r4 w/ B&M shift kit, B&M Megashifter, 3.23 posi, 2 12 RF's with mtx amp, top of line alpine cd player,autometer phantom gauges, soon to have 91-92 gfx, z-28 wing, new paintjob, rims, all new suspension, and new inteior
PLEASE tell me you're kidding ???? Please ?
Old 01-13-2003, 10:10 AM

Oddly enough, the LS1s use a hollow camshaft. I guess one man's folly is another's success. And although I have never "bored" a crankshaft, I have used gun drills to enlarge the oil passages and clean out the sludge. Of course, that means new chamfers too. They always seem to balance fairly well, but in reality very little mass is removed.

I'd hate to tell you how many people I've encountered with 350 "big block" Chevys, or how much "boost" you can get from a Turbo 400 transmission...

I think that between Charles Darwin and Phineas T. Barnum, we can categorize most of these experiences fairly easily. I'm sure that someone out there is laughing at us, too.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:58 PM

Car: 1988 Mustang GT
Engine: 302
Wow. I must be losing it. I thought the P&W Twin Wasp was a 18-cylinder stacked radial engine, but the R-XXXX designations (like the R-3350s in the B-29s and P-47s) were reserved for the Wrights, like the two-stack 2,800 SHP 18-cylinder. I get so easily confused... You're right (or, Wright) since apparently both Pratt and Wright used the "R" designations.

I know that some of the four-stack seven cylinder (28 total jugs) "Majors" were built by P&W and produced 3,500 SHP with a charger. There is a C-97 on static display near Dodgeville, WI with four of those engines in the nacelles. They're pretty impressive to look at, even if they have bird's nests in them. Apparently, some of the late B-29s got them, too, among others. An F4-U with that kind of power almost couldn't carry enough prop area to use it. They must've used five blades like the Aussies.

The four-stage superchagrer is basically an axial compressor that arragnges the discharge of one stage into the inlet of the next stage. Fairly high compression pressures are built that way, which helps a whole bunch at altitude. Remember that the aviation world calls a "turbo" a supercharger, too, since technically that is what it is - a turbo-supercharger. The "geniuses" in the automotive marketing field somehow shortened that term to "turbo" some time ago, and it stuck.
ever seen a crankcase gasket on a lycoming? its a piece of thread
Old 01-13-2003, 02:12 PM

Car: 88 GTA, 94 BMW 840, SVX, Prelude
Engine: 383 w/ Super Ram
Transmission: built 700R4 auto
I'm sure that someone out there is laughing at us, too.
Heh, you're probably right. If I were to go into, say, a florist, and try to BS with the people there about flowers like I knew what I was talking about, I'm sure that after I left, they'd all die laughing. "OMG, he thought you could grow tulips in the winter!" "He couldn't tell the difference between a plant bulb and a light bulb!" etc, etc.
However, much of how people react to you is all your attitude. If I rolled in there arrogantly spouting off nonsense and false statements, while at the same time acting like I was G0d's gift to plants, and refused to listen to anyone else, then I'd deserve the ridicule. Same as if I went in there and immediately started berating the guy who sold me the seeds about why my flowers wouldn't grow, you sold me dead seeds, it's all YOUR fault, bla bla bla...when I didn't read or follow the planting instructions they gave me when I bought them.
But if I go in there, and politely say "Hey, these seeds didn't grow when I planted them, I'll admit I know nothing about this, and I'm probably doing something wrong. How can I do it next time so that they grow?" i.e. not being a total *** or acting like a know-it-all, they'll be civil and probably show me a couple tips about planting flowers. And I probably wouldn't be laughed at or ripped on after I left - or not NEARLY as much, anyway. This is just human nature.
I noticed that most of the posts in this thread revolve around either the uninformed person acting like they know everything, or just being an *** hole. So basically, if they're getting laughed at - for the most part - they probably deserve it. My .02.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:36 PM

This guy hit the nail right on the head. This what this whole thread is all about!
Old 01-13-2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Black88GTA
"He couldn't tell the difference between a plant bulb and a light bulb!"

hey wtf go get me the left handed scvrewdriver now!!!

i used to send so many freshman into the tool crib in shop to get odd named tools that didnt exist. go get me the wood bender hahahaha

oh boy. good times

Quick Reply: Common repair myths....