Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Will non-EFI sending unit work with EFI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: Pro Flo Injected 355
Transmission: BW Super T10 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/3.50
Will non-EFI sending unit work with EFI?

So, i have a non-EFI fuel sending unit and i was wondering if the return line will interfere by shooting aerated fuel into the general area of the fuel intake line.
I am working on a conversion and i guess the aerated fuel will mess up the fuel the intake line is picking up.

Basically, will i be able to use the sending unit i have now with no modifications for EFI with an electric fuel pump?
Old 07-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Only a daily driver, but comin home
Engine: I have one that runs ;)
Transmission: Caged hamster that runs really fast
Axle/Gears: They are round, I know that much
If you are converting FROM a carbed motor TO a fuel injection engine, no your pump will not supply the required amount of fuel pressure to operate the system properly. The average FI system requires 40 to 60 PSI of fuel pressure, even if it was a throttle body setup, it will not work on a EFI system.

Now if you are talking about using an inline pump and unhooking the pump in the tank and you do not want to take it out, it is possible, however make sure you replace your fuel filter. You will need a strong pump to make it suck through the old pump/sending unit, and you run the risk of burning out the new pump from working to hard.

As for your first part, I am confused on what you are asking. You will need a return line on a EFI system because not all the pressure is used when the engine is running, and with 60 PSI with no where to go, something will give causeing a bigger problem.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: Pro Flo Injected 355
Transmission: BW Super T10 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/3.50
well i have a primary line as well as a return line in my fuel sending unit but i do not have an intank fuel pump. I have a mechanical fuel pump right now. I was wondering if anybody knows if the return line on my fuel sending unit will shoot the leftover gas (aerated) into the primary pick up line and thus cause a problem as far as the fuel pickup taking in air and fuel opposed to fuel only.