Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

make a throttle plate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
make a throttle plate?

as the title implies - how difficult would it be to make a throttle plate? anyone on here ever done it? or know how to go about doing it?

reason i'm asking is me and a buddy of mine just started boring out throttle bodies as a hobby/way to make a little extra cash/reason to play with machinery/excuse to knock a few back at the end of the day/etc.
currently we're set up for jeeps as theyre easy to do and both of us have one. we can take the bore as big as the casting will physically allow. problem is we need a plate to fit it. so for right now all we can do until we figure out the plate issue is straight bores. (stock bore with the ridge below the plate removed)

smith
Old 02-20-2007, 07:47 AM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
Well, unless there is a well-hidden grove of throttle plate trees somewhere, SOMEONE has to make throttle plates.

Study the design - They're fairly simple. They are almost round, but not completely, but rather a bit elliptical. The leading and trailing edges have a bit of a radius which actually looks like as taper. And there are usually a couple of holes near the center to secure them. The real trick is going to be in making them all uniform.