Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Temp sender

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: !985 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 2.8L
Transmission: T5
Temp sender

so i finally got my new temp sender for my cluster swap, and i go to install it. i pull out my socket wrench and start to turn it... and *pop*.so i'm thinking.. WTF MATE! i look... the top of the old temp sender ripped right off the bottom.... so now i have no way to get it off with a wrench.
so i'm thinking... i'll just get one of those things for taking out broken bolts... so i drill a small hole in the inside of the sender, and try.... it jsut spins and spins.... then all of a sudden... coolant in slowly pouring out of the sender.well... thats fantastic... i guess i drilled a little to far and there is a small hole all the way to the bottom... well... now i'm waiting for my engine t cool all the way down, so i can see if that'll stop the coolant from coming out.. but now i'm stumped and a little worried.... and suggestions guys?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:36 PM

Car: 1987 camaro
Engine: 383 AFR heads
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.70:1
Re: Temp sender

use a bigger easy-out. They have the ones that are helical so they tighten in the opposite direction as a screw. read the package to see what size drill is recommended. you'll want to drill all the way through the sender so the easy out can get as much contact as it needs. get the sender out, put the new one in, and make sure your coolant overflow tank is full. it'll take care of itself from there.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:44 AM

Engine: '85 Monte SS L69 305
Transmission: TH 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 3.23

When pulling temp senders you'd expect coolant to pour out, so you'd normally want to drain some coolant from the car before proceeding.
You need to drill out the remains of that sender. Try a larger drill. The sender is made of brass, and maybe there's a plastic sleeve inside. It should be easy to mangle without damaging the cast iron threads.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:31 PM

Car: !985 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 2.8L
Transmission: T5

ok, so i tried a bigger easy out... it just wore a hole through the bottom.

Originally Posted by Fullsizewagon
When pulling temp senders you'd expect coolant to pour out, so you'd normally want to drain some coolant from the car before proceeding.
You need to drill out the remains of that sender. Try a larger drill. The sender is made of brass, and maybe there's a plastic sleeve inside. It should be easy to mangle without damaging the cast iron threads.
SO i drilled out the old one. and installled the new one... NOW i cant go 40km without looseing all my coolant.... yay v.v help