Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Question about ported Bowtie 049 heads.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: 4 Bolt 350, Bowtie aluminum heads
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.42, superior axles, Torsen diff
Question about ported Bowtie 049 heads.

I bought these used and have been running them for the last three years on an autocross car. I pulled them off to replace a blown head gasket.

After cleaning them up I started looking for some markings that would maybe identify who did the porting. All of the exhaust ports are stamped 1-8. Both heads have a small 004 stamped on one end and one of the heads has LEO62 stamped on one end. I was hoping for a little bit more like maybe the shops name but no such luck. I assume that the name of the person that did the port work was Leo. My question is does anyone have an idea of where these could have come from? I am also assuming that since they are stamped that they either came from a shop that does a fairly large number of heads or a race team of some sort. I am sure that they where profesionally ported and not someone at home with a die grinder.

The intake port opening is 1.25" X 2.25" and it looks like whoever did the porting knew what he was doing but I have never had them on a flow bench. The exhaust ports are about 1.55" square. The valves are titanium 2.10 intake 1.65 exhaust and it had some 1.55" springs that I changed to something that would match my camshaft better. I would say that there is a good chance that these are 10-15 or even more years old but couldn't find any date code.

I know I don't have any good info to go on but I wouldn't mind knowing a little more about the history of these heads. You never know. Someone just might know of someone that has heard of a Leo that was a head porting god that work at some obscure backwoods shop.