Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1987 Formula Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Formula Problems

Hi, Everyone iam new here, but i have been reading your forms for maybe 2 months or so. I just got a 1987 Firebird Formula 305 TPI with 126k miles. I got it cheap and iam working out the problems now. I just did a geneal tune up. I changed the plugs, wires, pcv, air filter, o2 sensour, oil, tranny f., cap and roter fixed 2 small hoses vaccum i belive.

But i have noticed low oil pressure after the car warms up. About 9 or 10 idleing and 15-16 under low load. Its at 29- 30 cold. It has 10w-30 in it now i was thinking about uping it to 15w-40 with lucus oil stuff to, After changing the sending unit just to make sure. would that be a good idea? should i go with a different type?

Also the car seems to have alot less power when it warms up. if its cold it will burn the tyres up without trying but after it warms up it just does not have it. I was thinking the worst maybe putting a crank kit in it. do you guys have any idea on this ? could any of this stuff be related to the cts (termostat) ? its the only thing i have not replaced yet, i have it i just have to put it in.

Any help would be very appreciated, iam in college and iam trying to get her running good on my limited funs. thanks in advance!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z, '71 RS
Engine: 305 TPI/ 350
Transmission: 700R4/TH350
Re: 1987 Formula Problems

You should check to see if your throttle position sensor is ok. There is a post on how to adjust/troubleshoot it. (Think it's on the TPI board) You do have low oil pressure, but im thinking it may be your sender (Back of engine on drivers side, Looks like a fuel filter, sorta) I wouldnt go to a heavier weight oil. The lucas oil treatment is a good thing, though.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

For the oil pressure, consider changing the sender before doing anything else. You shouldn't have to up oil viscosity or pour in additives to get more oil pressure.

Forget the crank kit and put the money towards books, food and housing (if you're living on your own). Oh, yeah....and the occasional beer and date.

If the car runs and is reliable, call it good for now.

Sorry for sounding like a parent.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:34 PM

ok, i am ging to change the sender asap, its cold here in new york (niagara falls).

As far as the tps, i found the post but iam going to have to try and understand it. if i cant get it would it be somthing i sould just replace? i mean the car is 21 years old.

This is my summer car i do have a 07 cobalt everyday driver, so as far as running goes i dont want ok i want perfect. (as best as a 21 year old motor that is)

i am the grandson of a local car club leader so, when iam done i want this bad boy running good and turning heads. If i dent menion my baby is a 87 firebird formula with a tras am hood (also have aftermarket one but i like the tras am one better) C&C t-tops , i know it sucks but if anyone has any tips for a car with these let me know.

thanks again for any help.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z, '71 RS
Engine: 305 TPI/ 350
Transmission: 700R4/TH350

Originally Posted by blackpanther
ok, i am ging to change the sender asap, its cold here in new york (niagara falls).

As far as the tps, i found the post but iam going to have to try and understand it. if i cant get it would it be somthing i sould just replace? i mean the car is 21 years old.

This is my summer car i do have a 07 cobalt everyday driver, so as far as running goes i dont want ok i want perfect. (as best as a 21 year old motor that is)

i am the grandson of a local car club leader so, when iam done i want this bad boy running good and turning heads. If i dent menion my baby is a 87 firebird formula with a tras am hood (also have aftermarket one but i like the tras am one better) C&C t-tops , i know it sucks but if anyone has any tips for a car with these let me know.

thanks again for any help.
What are c&c t-tops? You could just replace the tps, but if theres nothing wrong with it, then you just wasted 30.oo.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:50 AM

Cars and customs T-tops, non factory T-tops dealers put them in. down side is they are a different size so it one ever needs to be replaced good luck