Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

how to check the fuel sender and gauge

Old 04-03-2009, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 firebird formula
Engine: 5.0 tpi
Transmission: t-5
how to check the fuel sender and gauge

gas gauge is'nt working,stuck on full,way past full.how do I check to see if the gauge or the sender is bad?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 monte aerocoupe
Engine: 383 HSR w/ novi 2000
Transmission: Built 4l80e circle d converter
Axle/Gears: Currie 9" 3.89 gears
Re: how to check the fuel sender and gauge

Disconnect the plug in for the sender(three wires total). Its down beside the tank on the drivers side. Its hard to explain, but its there, it may be taped up on the frame rail. Make a jumper wire or something like it to put inside the terminals on the vehicle side of the plug in. The two you want is the center wire(purple or pink, cant remember) and the outer on thats black. Turn the key on and see of the gauge drops to empty. When you do that, it grounds itself going to zero ohms, thus the gauge thinks its empty. If it still does not move with the key on, its the gauge, if it drops, its the sender. Mine had the exact prob, and it was the sender.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi
Re: how to check the fuel sender and gauge

Originally Posted by my90bird
gas gauge is'nt working,stuck on full,way past full.how do I check to see if the gauge or the sender is bad?
Originally Posted by dellman83Z
Disconnect the plug in for the sender(three wires total). Its down beside the tank on the drivers side. Its hard to explain, but its there, it may be taped up on the frame rail. Make a jumper wire or something like it to put inside the terminals on the vehicle side of the plug in. The two you want is the center wire(purple or pink, cant remember) and the outer on thats black. Turn the key on and see of the gauge drops to empty. When you do that, it grounds itself going to zero ohms, thus the gauge thinks its empty. If it still does not move with the key on, its the gauge, if it drops, its the sender. Mine had the exact prob, and it was the sender.
thanks I will try this method. my fuel gauge is doing the same thing