Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

tricky tech question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tricky tech question

thanks for taking a look, the car is a 91 firebird LB9 auto 206 xxx

here is the issue. I bought the car 2 weeks ago running fine,gradually over time the car has begun to run worse and worse. the first issue was with the car intermittantly running very bogged down and surging clearing slightly in high revs throwing code 15 coolant temp sensor reading low. So first question i have is this behavior normal of a low CTS read, or is there more going on.

continuing to 2nd issue battery cable was not making proper contact when going to crank car. starter would engage and then loose all system power, disconnect/reconnect tightened all the way, power back same starter problem. finally got it running and intermittantly lost power during driving, no symtoms apparent due to power loss.I have since fixed issue with washer inbetween battery and terminal worked fine for a week,now power loss when crank situation is back. my 2 questions regarding this are in the no crank situation should i loose all power after trying to crank 2nd question could the intermittent power loss while running have damaged the ECM

3rd issue which i feel is possibly ecm related The car was running perfectly 2 days ago on the highway i got off the highway and threw a check light the motor was surging and then stalling surging and stalling and then died refired and drove 1/4 mile to work and died in parking stall, would not refire. went out 2 hours later started rough but smoothed out got it home checked the codes and the 15 CTS was still present but a code 23 "low manifold temp or throttle position sensor error"appeared. would not refire all day or next morning finally fired with throttle to the floor that evening very poorly tho lots of unburnt fuel and hardly running dumping ALOT of fuel through the TBI. with partial throttle applied smoothed out idling at 1400 rpm dropped down to 650 no throttle applied ran perfect with a check light almost died. repeated process 3 times and i shut it off. came back to start last night no fire, tried again no crank power loss issue re surfaced. my questions on this section are
1 what the hell lol, coud this be a faulty ecm, fuel pressure reg, tps , bad starter , bad ground im totally lost any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

The CTS code is either from a bad sensor or a poor connection somewhere in the circuit.

You need to replace whatever needs to be replaced to get a reliable connection from the battery to the car, both positive and negative. You probably didn't harm the ECM with a poor connection, but it can't do its job properly with a poor connection.