Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

identify these valve seals? could they be leaking?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 434
Transmission: TKO600
identify these valve seals? could they be leaking?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone identify what brand of valve seals these are?

My newly rebuilt motor is using oil (1500 miles now), acts like the symtoms for valve seals, the heads were rebuilt by a shop that has always done good work for me in the past. These seals seem like good ones to me, though I'm not sure what brand they are. The valves don't seem loose at all in the heads.

Some more details for those interested: Good compression on all cylinders 170 - 180 psi. Doesn't smoke at idle or under load, only during shifts and especially when the throttle is closed and engine braking. It sometimes does a small puff at start up, but not always. It uses about a quart per 400 miles. The PCV system is not plugged. The spark plugs don't come out excessively oil fouled, but they do show a pattern that seems to point to the intake valve, this is the #8 plug sitting like it would be in the head:

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
Re: identify these valve seals? could they be leaking?

They look like the comp-cam teflon ones. Dont remember the part # offhand. Are teh studs sealed? Those may also go into some of the intake runners, and would allow oil in if there is no sealant.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

With oil consumption like you have, I think there is a bigger problem than the valve stem seals.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:58 PM

Well I think I finally got this oil consumption problem figured out, and it wasn't anything major

It wasn't the valve seals or the rings, although the valve seals were changed along the way.

The roller rockers are spitting a large amount of oil around, way more than the standard rockers. This excess oil was getting pulled into the PCV system and causing the puff of smoke when the throttle was closed. First, I just removed the PCV valve and plugged the intake port and throttle body port and installed breathers in both valve covers. The problem with that was after only a few miles of driving the breathers were completely saturated with oil and dripping all over the place. I guess this is a common problem with roller rockers when the oil flow to them is not restricted according to people I have talked to around here. To fix it, I welded some old header tube to each valve cover hole, about 2 inches high, to get the breather up away from all the oil flying around. I also put some breather element material in each tube as extra insurance. It's only been 150 miles so far since doing this, but the breathers have stayed dry and no noticable oil consumption (would have been ~ 1/4 quart before). Since the PCV has been disconnected, no puffs of smoke out the tail pipe either. I think it may be possible to reconnect the PCV system to the elevated pipes and not have a problem, I might try that in the future.

This car is finally driveable!
Old 07-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Are you running aftermarket valve covers? I've found aftermarket valve covers have really bad internal baffles or none at all at the breather and PCV holes.

I wouldn't run without the PCV system hooked up. Your engine will tend to sludge up without it.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Yes, they are aftermarket valve covers. They did have stock baffles, but these had to be modified to clear the valve train. I left as much as I could to get it to fit, but it was compromised. It seems that the consensus here is that the baffling was more of an issue than increased oil from the roller rockers.

I think I can probably hook the pcv system back up now that the baffling is improved.

Thanks