Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

valve job question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.73
valve job question

Hello all,

My car smokes when it's started runs great after that, so I'm assuming that it needs valve seals. I figured that I would do the guides as well. My plan of attack was to pull the heads and take them to a machine shop to have a complete valve job done. I talked to my mechanic friend and he said not to do it because the car has 100k miles on it and that it will just introduce more problems with the rings thanks to the higher compression the valve job will give me. Is this accurate? What should I do?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:59 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: factory T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 limited slip
Re: valve job question

Originally Posted by Gummie
Hello all,

My car smokes when it's started runs great after that, so I'm assuming that it needs valve seals. I figured that I would do the guides as well. My plan of attack was to pull the heads and take them to a machine shop to have a complete valve job done. I talked to my mechanic friend and he said not to do it because the car has 100k miles on it and that it will just introduce more problems with the rings thanks to the higher compression the valve job will give me. Is this accurate? What should I do?
To the best of my knowledge, a valve job alone would do nothing for compression, maybe if you have the head milled you would get a tiny bump in it but otherwise I dont think so. The only harm done would be to your wallet .
Old 08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 B4C "police special service"
Engine: L98 494hp
Transmission: tko-600 on order
Axle/Gears: 3.23 true trac

Are you just looking to get rid of smoking when you start it, that's the crappy o-ring factory valve guide seals.....just replace the valve guide seals, and it will stop.....use umbrella style seals, not stock o-ring crap ones. you can change seals with heads on motor using compressed air to hold up valves. Have you mechanic friend help you , you'll have to take valve springs off.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.73

Originally Posted by 91interceptorZ
Are you just looking to get rid of smoking when you start it, that's the crappy o-ring factory valve guide seals.....just replace the valve guide seals, and it will stop.....use umbrella style seals, not stock o-ring crap ones. you can change seals with heads on motor using compressed air to hold up valves. Have you mechanic friend help you , you'll have to take valve springs off.
I figured I would do the guides as well in case they're egged out a little. That way the new seals will be able to last as long as possible. I didn't know there were two different types of seals, thanks for the heads up.

So in other words, I have nothing to worry about with doing the valve job?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Irocz
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.25:1

Originally Posted by Gummie
I figured I would do the guides as well in case they're egged out a little. That way the new seals will be able to last as long as possible. I didn't know there were two different types of seals, thanks for the heads up.
So in other words, I have nothing to worry about with doing the valve job?
No it will not hurt your engine.
Seriously, if sealing valves is going to damage a bottom end, then it's past time to freshen up the bottom end.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 B4C "police special service"
Engine: L98 494hp
Transmission: tko-600 on order
Axle/Gears: 3.23 true trac

If you're going to take heads off and do all this work....it might not be much difference in price to purchase some aftermarket heads....maybe some used ones....but I wouldn't waste all that money on stock heads....
Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 PM

Car: Red 1987 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 LB9 TPI
Transmission: T5 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt 3.45

Originally Posted by 91interceptorZ
If you're going to take heads off and do all this work....it might not be much difference in price to purchase some aftermarket heads....maybe some used ones....but I wouldn't waste all that money on stock heads....