Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

ac charging

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 TA
ac charging

I have a 82 TA with a 305 all stock.My AC is dead And I think all the freon is gone, the compressor doesn't move when turned on, just the belt turns.

I bought a retro kit with "freon" and oil and stop leaks cans also to try and charge it with the new "freon" but the adapters won't fit the low side connection.
Can anyone tell me what adapters I need or kit to buy ?

Also can someone tell me how to jump wire the compressor to force it to cycle while I put in freon ?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:49 PM

Car: 84 trans am
Engine: 305 5.0L HO
Transmission: TH350
Re: ac charging

you may need to vac the system and check for leaks.
From my recollection of my finding when doing this for myself.....
The compressor will not switch on until enough oil is present in the system and some pressure I think.
the retro fit kit should have come with a low and high side quick connect fitting.
The low cannot possibly fit on the high from what I recall. Should be easy to identify. However I believe the low is on the dryer and the high is down on the hose.
Any R134 set will have the correct quick connect fitting for your low. Gauges will have both high and low Red and Blue respectively.
Once again it's not possible to connect the low to the high purely due to fitting size.
Beware a high pressure on the low side. Anything over 50 ish is not good and even higher means air in the system.
Good luck with getting cold air.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 AM

Car: 82 TA
Re: ac charging

Thanks for the reply.
The fitting on the dryer is very large and the fitting on the line along the topside of the frame is smaller and the cap is blue but the retro fittings do not fit this smaller fitting .
I wanted to make sure i had the correct fitting and be sure i was doing this correct as i could.

I'm trying to save money here and taking it to a pro to have it checked for leaks is fairly expensive only to find that the system is already empty and needs recharged but i guess it would be nice to know if there are major leaks somewhere.

Does anyone know how to jump start the compressor if it doesn't start by itself when freon is put in ?