Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How to pass inspection with Crate Motor in NORTH CAROLINA

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: 305 4bbl LG4
Transmission: AOD
Axle/Gears: 2.73
How to pass inspection with Crate Motor in NORTH CAROLINA

Looking At a crate motor for my 86. I see tons of cars around with crate motors.

When I took the car in for inspection they did not SNIFF it but they did look under the hood and under the car to make sure everything "original" appeared to be there including cat.

How do these guys pass insp with a carbed crate motor, no emissions WHATSOEVER and no cat.....

Call me crazy if I just need to find a cooperative inspection station but the oil change place I went to was all worried about 1 of the 4 lights in my CHMSL being burnt out.

I would bet they would have freaked if they popped the hood to see a crate motor....again to I just need to find a coperative inspection station or what?

I am from Michigan and we dont have any silly inspections there we just pollute the air with big bad motors in bad azz american muscle and like it..
Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A, 83 Z/28
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 350 2 X 4 bbl
Transmission: 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, 3.73 std
Re: How to pass inspection with Crate Motor in NORTH CAROLINA

Thell need a friend in the business or a shop that's "cooperative." You can make things look original and functional and considering that these cars are older than what most mechanics know about as long as you can feed them a good line of bs thell probably buy it as they probably dont care enough to make an issue of it. Also going to a local hole in the wall shop helps as there not as strict about things usually as a real big name shop that have corporate management to answer to.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85' Trans Am !best car ever!
Engine: 305tpi 215hp LB9 two bolt,
Transmission: th-700r4
Axle/Gears: stock (3.27)
Re: How to pass inspection with Crate Motor in NORTH CAROLINA

Mexican-american, like education so they go to night school and get a B.-Cheech Marlin. NAH but get away from the base find a run down inspection, drop forty bucks on the ground. oh where did that come from sir, its yours, thanks for passing me...im stock in cali, even got the new EPA regualation cali only cat. some people here dont care and hit up the mexican inspection places.