Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

car starts but won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.43
car starts but won't idle

hey, having an issue i can't seem to figure out. i bought an 89 gta for 750 bucks, ran good, in semi decent shape. then i spent about 4 grand to overhaul the motor, changed heads to performance alluminum, change to hsr, changed to a summit tpi cam, headers, changed 02 sensors, and a good general tune up. now when i start it, it will only rune at 1500 rpms or higher. i am sure that i hooked everything up right, and have checked it several times. i do have a voltmeter, and did set tps per tech article here, and then checked it again against my haynes manual. it had a bad fuel pump, and upgraded to the bosch high flow intank pump. have removed ac. and the oil pressure sending unit broke, it is on list to fix soon. car runs great, as long as i keep it above 1500 rpms. i haven't had a chance to go to dyno and tune it yet as i would like it to semi run before i do. haven't check fuel pressure yet,(am investing in a gauge for it asap) and can't get it to idle long enough to check timing. but i marked distributor base and cap position when i removed it and set it back exactly.

so any idea where to start to try and get this thing to idle, i am really stumped as i usually build carbed motors and this fuel injection thing is throwing me for a loop?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:48 AM

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350
Re: car starts but won't idle

possbily since you did all the upgrades, the computer cant get good readings now.

Maybe try and get the check engine light to come on, and then see how it runs or if it spits any codes.

when your check engine light comes on it basically bypasses the computer in a way
Old 09-29-2009, 12:34 PM

check engine light is on, haven't checked the codes yet. was working on it today, and used a small piece of paper under idle screw, and it sat at 1500 rpms exactly and idled for half and hour no problem. so while it was running, i went to check timing with my gun, and noticed i have no timing tab, so i will have to get one. any tips on how to set it accurately? first time i have ever seen a car with no tab.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:34 PM

no other ideas other then get a chip, i know there are alot of variables, but how would one of you more experienced fuel injection guys tackle this, from start to finish? i really need some help here