Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1985 2.8V6: Replaced MAF sensor, is it a vacuum leak now? Mechanic's lost.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 2.8V6: Replaced MAF sensor, is it a vacuum leak now? Mechanic's lost.

1985 2.8V6

My car has been put on so many diagnostic machines and yet the only thing that came up (finally) was a MAF sensor, replaced that today, yet it still runs kinda rough. All maintinance done regularly. I'll try my best to describe it:

Once you start it you can hear it 'miss' as most people say, you can hear it trying to keep idled but can tell it is about to turn off. It seems idled low, yet when you idle it higher it still has the same issues. When I stop I have to ride the brake and gas or it will turn off. It turned off yesterday when I was going 60mph on the interstate, with no warning, just cut off. The check engine light comes on sometimes when it 'stalls'. I've been to too many mechanics for the past 2 years and no one can tell me what's going on. It cuts off allot more when no gas is being given, when it's idled low. But now doing it at random times as well. Also sometimes when I'm leaving a stop light and I give it 'more gas' (since I have ride the gas and brake to keep it started), you can hear the 'miss'.

I tried my best to explain it, sick of mechanics wasting my money only to tell me 'I don't know what it could be'. Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by 85CheroCamaro; 10-06-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 POS monte carlo 2015 chevy P/U
Engine: 92 5.7 tpi 5.3
Transmission: 700r4 6L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.42 too high
Re: 1985 2.8V6: Replaced MAF sensor, is it a vacuum leak now? Mechanic's lost.

some more info on what has been replaced/done to the car would help.

it could be a number of things.
pickup coil, fuel pressure, exhaust, ECM problems and so on. even internal engine problems.

the first thing is to check fuel pressure and make sure its good. next is the ignition system. a weak ignition coil will cause all kinds of performance problems.
if those things check good, i would look at the injectors. a lot of mechanics tend to over look them because the newer type injectors aren't as problem prone as the ones you probably have are. if you still have the factory injectors, odds are they are trash, the multecs were junk back when GM
first used them.
shorted multec injectors are very common now.
to check for shorted injectors, you need a good DVOM.
unplug the connector at each injector and check the injectors' resistance.
the resistance for the injectors in you car is around 16 ohms each.
as a general rule, as long as none are below about 14 ohms, your usually ok. any at 12 or less and they start causing problems and the full set needs to be replaced.