Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

oil inside distributor cap

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70
oil inside distributor cap

Cant really find much here or on google...

I've got a ring of oil that looks like it's been sprayed around the inside of my dizzy cap. It lines up with the bottom of the rotor...

Name:  DSC03719.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  65.9 KB

The car's been acting a bit funny with this high RPM misfire so I decided to go through the ignition system and I found that. Not really sure what to make of it.

I read one post on here suggesting that extremely bad blow-by will blow oil up through the dizzy shaft and into the rotor. But I dont think that applies here. This motor has about 7-10k miles on it right now. Pretty fresh, pulls hard aside from that misfire and there's never any puffs of blue smoke or an oil smell out the tail pipe and it's not using enough oil for me to be able to tell it's losing oil. I have a hard time believing this is caused purely by extremely bad blow-by. Seems like I'd have equally as much oil spewing out my breather but I dont.

And the pciture makes it look a little worse than it is, most of that oil is dried onto the cap. It's been there a while. It still looks weird though.

The other thing is, I measured my distributor endplay, and it's at .039 inches. I plan to shim it up to at least .019, but there is quite a bit of slop in the dizzy gear and the gear is a bit worn. But I figure if there's that much slop it wouldn't be a big deal for oil to get up the shaft and somehow work its way up.

But I still find it really odd. Is there some sort of seal in the distributor I should look at replacing?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA, 2003 Grand Am GT
Engine: 350 Tune Port
Transmission: 700R4
Re: oil inside distributor cap

The dizzy has seals which can wear out like any other seal. When they do, oil will work its way up the shaft and you will see oil in the cap. Others may know more than I do but you should either replace the distributor itself or the seals.

I have never heard of blow by causing oil in the cap. Thinking about it logically, I do not even think that is possible.

Good Luck!