Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car will crank but wont start on a PUSH BUTTON start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro z29
Engine: 5.7 tune port
Car will crank but wont start on a PUSH BUTTON start!!!

ok so the genius before me installed a push button start on my camaro... unfortunately i still have to put the key in the ignition before i crank the car...
ok so sometime when i put the key in and then start pressing the button the car will crank and turn over but will soon die out after like 3-5 seconds..
now idk if its the push button start or not but id have to press the button like 7 times before it actually starts!!!! PLEASE help me should i just switch it back to manually key in the whole or do yall think its something else!?!?!?!?!?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85 IROC / 69 Firebird convertible
Engine: 5.0 / 350
Transmission: t-5 / WC t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 / 3.08
Re: Car will crank but wont start on a PUSH BUTTON start!!!

Really, what good is the push button start if you still have to put the key in. Your best bet is probably to return everything to the original set-up. You still have to wonder why the guy you bought the car from switched to begin with. Was there a problem with the switch.....?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4

What year car is it?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 PM

i have no ideal y the guy did this! im going to try and switch it back to the original way...but the car is a 91 z28 and i already switch the spark plugs and fuel filter cuz i thought it may have been clogged or sumtin but no change in the start up just preformance
Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 PM

Car: '91 Firebird
Engine: 468 BBC w/ 8-71 blower
Transmission: Th400
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 2.77

The only reason I put a push button start on mine and kept the key was for security reasons, and my ignition switch no longer turned the starter over. Does the key start it if you turn it all the way forward? If not I would check the wiring if all seems good then check the ignition switch and see if that is the problem.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

There was probably an electrical issue in the ignition switch or the VATS system was causing issues. I cant remember if VATS disables the ignition system, but I think it does, so that may not be it.

But regardless I put a push button start in mine to avoid getting a new key cylinder and/or troubleshooting forever to find where the break was in the circuit.

Some advantages are that thieves cant just jam a knife/screwdriver into your ignition switch and crank the car, they gotta find your pushbutton too. And if they find my pushbutton, they wotn be able to crank the car because the ignition switch still switches on the ignition, so they'd have to do both. Just an extra annoyance for any would be car thief. If they really wanted the car, they'd get it, but I'll make it annoying for em anyway. There's other things about my car that would throw em off a little too. The idea would be that they'd just move along to the corvette next to mine or something and think mine wasnt worth the trouble.

And for me it was also an issue of cost. I plan to replace the key cyl one day, but I rather enjoy having the pushbutton there, honestly. My car isnt really a daily driver though, so a push button kind of fits the personality of the car.

I dont think the car dying out has anything to do with the pushbutton. If the key is set to "on" then all the pushbutton does is trigger the starter to turn over the motor. If it's sputtering out it's something else fuel or spark related.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 03-03-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4

Lots to get into here. When you turn the key to start there is a rod that goes down the column to the actual switch. This rod often gets bent and doesn't actually energize the switch to power up the starter. You can sometimes loosen the switch on the lower part of the steering column and reposition it to get it to work. Also, when you hit the starter with the factory switch you send a signal to the ECM to pulse the fuel injectors a couple times to get the engine to fire. And the security system also has control over the starter and the injectors. I'd sure try to get the original switch and all back like it should be. Once the engine is running all this is a non-issue. These cars just want to die sometimes, only the GM designers know why and they are all laid off by now. I've replaced everything on my car that would have any effect on this, and it still dies once in a while.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM

yea so i went to autozone today and got this seafoam stuff i heard it works with high idle cars... i put it into the gas tank and the oil and now im just waiting for results...now sunday i am going to attempt to try and switch it back to the original....but as of now when i put the key in and turn it as i would crank it up nothing happends ,.... i have to push the button for it to crank....sometimes when i push the button it doesnt start up strong...and thats basically wat im looking for. if the seafoam dont work im just gunna check the electrical problems then
Old 03-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

My only other guess from whats been suggested already is if the push button wires itself are a thing gauge wire and then just cut and spliced into the factory starter wire.The resistance causing a voltage drop to the starter itself might make the starter turn over slow..or heat the wires up enough to burn.Have you ever smelt like something was slightly electronically burning if you press and hold the starter button down? or does the push start get warm when you have to keep pressing it to start the car?

I ask because installing a push button start is fairly easy and shouldnt affect how the car starts unless the wires on it were undersized.If not then you might have issues else where and putting it back to factory might reveal the underlined real issue.

Hard to tell since we dont have more details as to what your car is doing that you call "not starting up strong". Does it sputter up to life,or slow cranking of the starter,when the car starts does it idle rough and then clear up,stupud question sometimes but is the battery holding a good charge?.These tests will help point out your problem.

Keep us updated as you go along