Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

My Camaro almost/dies idling

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: V8 5L 305
Transmission: standard rebuild w/ corv servo
My Camaro almost/dies idling

I have a 3rd gen camaro a 92 25th anniversary rs and I'm not used to old cars, it's running a bit rich but only for a few moments is this normal in an old car? we've checked exhaust and such it's not burning oil, no coolant or gas leaks. (it's a throttle body fuel injection and my dad and I are not familiar with those)

Also it seems like this is a common problem with camaros but I can't find any real answers. sometimes my car is really smooth in idle however off and on it misses and almost dies in idle it hasn't actually died yet but it gets to where it's pretty much not even on. other times I can leave it in idle for an hour and no problems whatsoever. I was thinking vacuum leak but if that were the case it should be more often then not and not off and on. Could I have a bad sensor? or spark plug or spark plug wires?

Last edited by 3rdgenkindagal; 03-24-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 03-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: My Camaro almost/dies idling

When is it running rich? At first startup? Blowing a cloud of grey smoke? Black?? These cars are notorious for the valve seals going belly up.... give you a nice grey puff at startup.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 PM

Nope no smoke, just steam at startup for a few moments when it's cold out like now it's winter. we've tasted and touched everything that's come out no funny smells or tastes just running rich my dad checked the spark plug wires, they are all firing (we don't know how efficiently mind you :P) but all 8 are firing now something he noticed though was that when he lifts up the spark plugs it arcs all over the place until he puts it down so we might think a cracked distributor cap or just because they are so fing snug to eachother it's not even funny like seriously they are like you can't pull 1 out alone. We noticed too our air filter is so plugged that you can't see through it. And my dad accidently broke the gasket so I gotta run to the auto parts store for a new one of those and air filter.

Could the running rich and nearly dying in idle/missing be related? or would they be different problems. I just fixed my horn and steering wheel got a new one and I need to get my car registered but I think it's running way to rich. Also the running rich is off and on, sometimes it runs rich for long periods of time sometimes for only a moment or so... good news though it's not leaking or dripping jack squat so no leaks is good. so sensor maybe? or bad injector?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 AM

Try spraying the butterfly hinge pin inside the throttle body sometime they will gum up and stick.By the way I am new to this site and can not figure out how to post my own questions.Would be great if you could help me out.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:43 PM

Yea np I just started too you can post your own things but only if you have the priveledge when you activate your account through the link in your email you get basic posting priveledges and can post your own topics I still dont know how to delete posts though, and i still dont have the rights to some topics :[ anyways, I talked to a guy at the auto parts store today cuz sometimes it dies in idle and sometimes its way too rich and he said it sounds like my oxygen sensor went out

One last thing, my spedometer went out, it's not broken itself it comes on randomly and the guy who previously owned the car replaced the dash n i think he did something wrong with the wire. in order to check the wire do I have to rip apart the dash again?