Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

To sell or not to sell. To fix or not to fix... Whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
To sell or not to sell. To fix or not to fix... Whats it worth?

Cant really make up my mind at the moment. Was hoping to get some other peoples opinions. Here is the deal. I have a 1987 firebird formula 305 auto. that has body damage. With a new carb and alittle mech work it should run pretty good. Question is, is the car worth putting the money into it? Seems like good condition firebirds are getting harder and harder to come by. Id hate to see the car go to waste. The car needs body/paint, front struts, new/rebuild carb, tires, weatherstripping and a few other minor things. From estimates ive gotten, the body/paint is going to run me about 2k. So I am guessing after all the repairs its going to need about 3k put into it, maybe alittle more. It has 115k miles on it (motor was supposedly rebuilt about 50k ago, runs fine no probs). Is this car worth putting 3grand possibly upwards toward 4grand into? How much do you think the car is worth as it sits right now? (its drivable). How much do you think it will be worth if everything was fixed on it? I am not looking to turn the car over for a profit. Just do not want to be throwing money at something, ya know? Just trying to get opinions on what i should do. Do I cut my losses and sell the car, and look for another? or do I try and fix her up?

Heres some pics

Name:  DSCN1055-1.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  248.0 KB

Name:  DSCN1059-1.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  313.6 KB

Name:  DSCN1033.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  231.8 KB

Name:  DSCN1048.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  DSCN1047.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  150.7 KB

Name:  DSCN1040.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  173.9 KB

Name:  DSCN1036.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  148.1 KB

Name:  DSCN1041.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  115.4 KB

Last edited by AcedRaven; 01-20-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 AM

Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Re: To sell or not to sell. To fix or not to fix... Whats it worth?

few more pics

Name:  DSCN1057-1.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  149.0 KB

Name:  DSCN1039.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  150.2 KB

Name:  DSCN1049.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  132.6 KB

Name:  DSCN1044.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  143.8 KB
Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AcedRaven
Cant really make up my mind at the moment. Was hoping to get some other peoples opinions.

OK, opinions you will get and expect that some will upset you because they may not be what you wanted to hear. But, they are, after all, opinions.

I have a 1987 firebird formula 305 auto. that has body damage.

yup, drivers side is beat

With a new carb and alittle mech work it should run pretty good.

how do you know beyond all doubt that it only needs a carb? What is the other "little mechanical work" and that does not mean your diagnosis unless you know for sure.

Question is, is the car worth putting the money into it?.

That again is open to opinions. I dropped about $5,000 into a 4th gen that I paid $3,000 to buy and now it starts every time and can be driven across the country if you wish. My son loves it and yes some of that money was mods and new wheels.

The car needs body/paint,

how is the floor and hidden areas prone to rust? is it a southern car?

front struts, not a lot of money and may as well replace rear shocks too

new/rebuild carb, again, how do you know?

tires, $600 mounted, balanced etc etc

weatherstripping wait until you price that, you will be shocked

and a few other minor things. what are minor things?

From estimates ive gotten, the body/paint is going to run me about 2k.

if you've been quoted $2,000 to repair that damage and get a good paint job, get it in writing and sign the contract. That is an awesome price

So I am guessing after all the repairs its going to need about 3k put into it, maybe alittle more.

if you are including the $2,000 for body work, and $600 for tires then maybe isn't the word.

It has 115k miles on it (motor was supposedly rebuilt about 50k ago, runs fine no probs).

wrong- if the odometer is correct, then the engine has 115k miles on it unless you've been shown documentation to the contrary.

Is this car worth putting 3grand possibly upwards toward 4grand into?

only you can answer that because it's up to you. If you are doing this as an investment, then forget it. Oh, and it depends on what you want the end product to be.

How much do you think the car is worth as it sits right now?

here is where opinions will run wild. Lemme see, a 1987 vehicle that runs like crap, needs tires, leaks and has body damage. Honestly, I'd walk away from it as a project vehicle. So, what would I offer for it as it sits? it would be in the low $hundreds.

(its drivable). How much do you think it will be worth if everything was fixed on it?

do you mean restored so the rug is excellent, seats, all switches work, she shifts great and runs like a watch? Since you can't provide proof of a rebuilt engine and at that age, a buyer must consider a rebuild of tranny and engine is in the future, maybe in the $2,000's.

I am not looking to turn the car over for a profit.

excellent because you chose the wrong canvas from which to create your painting

Just do not want to be throwing money at something, ya know?

ahhhhh, here is the contradictory statement. Do you or do you not want to throw money at something knowing that every dollar that you spend will yield about 50 cents back if you try to sell it.

You don't have the option of sanding it, tossing a cheap Maaco job at it and then getting it running and some cheapo tires. That would be the path to getting back your money and maybe a few hundred extra. But, the body damage means you either live with it, or fix it which costs $$$$.

Just trying to get opinions on what i should do.

Do I cut my losses and sell the car,

here again is where an opinion may tick you off a wee bit. What make you think that somebody wants to buy a problem that you don't want to fix? How many cars do you see listed as "only needs a tune up" or "needs a carb and will run great" ? If that were the case then why don't they tune the vehicle or rebuild the carb? How much do you honestly think you could get for a vehicle with bad tires, doesn't run well ("needs a carb") and has body damage and leaks ( "needs weatherstripping" )?

and look for another? or do I try and fix her up?

Heres some pics

See above
Old 01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

As the saying goes, "the beauty is in the eye of the beholder". No one can answer the question of "should I" except you. "Worth" is what it's worth to you, not anyone else. Because as it sits, I wouldn't give you more than $700 for it - but then again, out of the four 3rd gens I've owned, I never paid more than $800 for any of them.

But - on the other hand, I have well over $15,000 into my 1992 RS, and if I had it to do all over, I'd done it the same. I love my car. I'll never ever ever, even if I live to be 100, will never see $15k out of it. And I wouldn't sell it even if I was offered $15k - it's my baby - my blood sweat tears.

Your body issues revolve around a new front driver fender ($100 at a local JY), a nose cone (harder to find, maybe as high as $400 for a good one), and a rear spoiler (they ALL crack and get ruined like that - the sun kills that rubbery plastic junk they were made from). You could swap for the other 'Bird spoiler that would last a lifetime and should find easily enough. Then there's paint - no real rush on the paint - can do it when you have the funds. Should be able to get a decent painter to do the body work and spray her down with decent paint for $2500.

Whatever is wrong with the engine, a grand would easily fix - even if it's completely ruined for some reason, a carbed 350 swap can be done for a grand.

So, you are right - worst case scenerio is $4000. Choice is yours. Getting it to run would be where I'd start - might only cost you a couple hundred or even nothing if you get the right diagnosis here on the running issue - but if selling it is a consideration, the only way you'll see more than a few hundred bucks in your pocket is to get it running.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 GTA Trans Am
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9-Bolt 3.27

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
As the saying goes, "the beauty is in the eye of the beholder". No one can answer the question of "should I" except you. "Worth" is what it's worth to you, not anyone else. Because as it sits, I wouldn't give you more than $700 for it - but then again, out of the four 3rd gens I've owned, I never paid more than $800 for any of them.

But - on the other hand, I have well over $15,000 into my 1992 RS, and if I had it to do all over, I'd done it the same. I love my car. I'll never ever ever, even if I live to be 100, will never see $15k out of it. And I wouldn't sell it even if I was offered $15k - it's my baby - my blood sweat tears.

Your body issues revolve around a new front driver fender ($100 at a local JY), a nose cone (harder to find, maybe as high as $400 for a good one), and a rear spoiler (they ALL crack and get ruined like that - the sun kills that rubbery plastic junk they were made from). You could swap for the other 'Bird spoiler that would last a lifetime and should find easily enough. Then there's paint - no real rush on the paint - can do it when you have the funds. Should be able to get a decent painter to do the body work and spray her down with decent paint for $2500.

Whatever is wrong with the engine, a grand would easily fix - even if it's completely ruined for some reason, a carbed 350 swap can be done for a grand.

So, you are right - worst case scenerio is $4000. Choice is yours. Getting it to run would be where I'd start - might only cost you a couple hundred or even nothing if you get the right diagnosis here on the running issue - but if selling it is a consideration, the only way you'll see more than a few hundred bucks in your pocket is to get it running.
+1

Couldn't agree more.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

huh???

Let's say you go for a rebuild, $1,000 won't cover machine shop costs

and yes, you can find a junker and slap it into your car for under a grand. Is that really what anyone should do? Once the engine is yanked, do you really want to toss an unknown into the car? If you are just trying to keep a car going then yes. It sounds like the OP is looking for more than tossing a junker under the hood.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Cheap doesn't always mean "junker". My 350 I bought complete carb to pan for $600 from a craigslist ad. It's been running strong 3+ years now with no issues at all. Sure, it's not the best 350 out there, it's a late 60's block with crappy 70's smog heads, but the guy built it with 10:1 dometops to help the compression, had the Performer RPM intake, and a mild cam. And it's a 100% faster than my 305 ever was! Has made my car fun to drive!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

Cheap doesn't always mean "junker". My 350 I bought complete carb to pan for $600 from a craigslist ad. It's been running strong 3+ years now with no issues at all. Sure, it's not the best 350 out there, it's a late 60's block with crappy 70's smog heads, but the guy built it with 10:1 dometops to help the compression, had the Performer RPM intake, and a mild cam. And it's a 100% faster than my 305 ever was! Has made my car fun to drive!
you are one of the fortunate few. There is more junk than good stuff out there for under $1000. When you think of the work involved in pulling an engine and then putting one back, doesn't it make sense to use a known commodity rather than rolling the dice?

It comes down to personal preferences. As for me, unless the seller can provide proof about the engine they have for sale, in my eyes, it's just one of the many boat anchors that are for sale out there.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:13 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08?

If youre going to keep it-fix it.
If youre going to sell-get it running good and sell as is.

You need to figure out if youre going to keep it or not. I would keep it. It looks clean, and is the base for a nice looking formula firebird.
The originality of the car is rare. Personally, i would pay more for an IROC that was as original as possible opposed to a "custom" IROC. On the other hand, to the right person, fxing up that car could be a fun project. Good Luck
Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Camaro SC, 1999 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350HO, LS1
Transmission: Built 700r4/EDGE 3200, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton 7.625, 3.42 Zexel Torsen

fix it.

you have a much better platform starting out, and with alot less work needed then 85% of everyone else here on TGO.

fix the body and save up for an LSX swap.