Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car struggled, went a little further, then completely Died.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z Hardtop
Engine: 305 TPI Auto
Car struggled, went a little further, then completely Died.

88 Iroc 350tpi. First off when starting car would smoke on initial start. Was doing this for about 3 weeks, but been working 12 hours a day and not having a spare vehicle or much time to check it out figured it wasnt a huge deal atm as the car was running fine other then the smoke at start up. It doesnt always smoke just sometimes when starting up and if I give it a little gas when starting up it smokes more then the rest of the time.

Was on the way to work this morning and let off the gas some at about 50mph and it choked a little bit and then was fine. Was driving once I got on post at about 30-40 mph, went to turn into work and car choked some more and then died.

Fuel pump is priming and replaced the fuel filter (that thing was NASTY, was full or black/brown/rusty look)

My car is still sitting on post, curious to as what could be some possible solutions. I am curious to as if its maybe the injectors because after looking at the fuel filter. It would only start for a split second or two and die.

My biggest thing is I am not tech savvy when it comes to motors as im a computer nerd lol! but Here at Ft Hood, there are tons of shops that will screw a Soldier over quick for money. I dont really want to tow it to anywhere around here. I am very capable of doing the work myself as I usually read up on it and figure it out. Any help would be greatly apperciated! I only have the basic tool set fyi so anything needed past the basics let me know if I should just take it to a shop or if you need any other info that might help figure out what it is let me know and I can answer the best I can.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A, 83 Z/28
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 350 2 X 4 bbl
Transmission: 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, 3.73 std
Re: Car struggled, went a little further, then completely Died.

First things first any codes? You may have some troubles like this from things like the lack of a VSS signal because if I recall correctly these ECMs have a deceleration mode to prevent flooding.

After that the first thing I would do is check your fuel pressure. If your filter was that bad you may also have a clogged up sock in your tank or your fuel pump may have died as result of being overloaded from trying to force fuel through a clogged filter.

What color was the smoke at start up? Another thing I would check is your plugs. Its a bit of a long shot but they may be oil fouled. My reasoning for this is smoke on start up is typically the result of bad valve seals allowing oil to leak into the cylinders while the car rests after a drive (which in and of itself can cause plug to get fouled). However you mentioned that it choked out when you slowed down. If you have things like bad rings or valve guides and you go from a higher RPM and let off the throttle to slow down the wheels end up drive the motor faster than it would like to based on the amount of throttle your giving it. This generates a lot of vacuum in the motor which can suck oil into the combustion chamber if things are worn out.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44

is there gas in the tank? sounds silly but it happens to the best of us. you gauge may say there is fuel but the sending unit could be broken, try putting a few gallons in and see if it helps
Old 01-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91' Firebird SOLD
Engine: 350 TPI +bolt-ons
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:42

If you have black smoke. Check your Coolant temp sensor. All of these sensors will effect your fuel mixture and driveability. Do you have any codes? Even if you don't have an SES light, check for codes anyway. Whitish blue smoke at startup is normal for the age of our cars. That is just the valve seals leaking a little. Perfectly normal and goes away after initial startup. Sounds like a bad FUEL INJECTOR. Check them all with a multimeter and if you find one bad one , always replace ALL of them at the same time. Later
Old 01-28-2011, 07:01 PM

To answer a few of y'all questions. It is white smoke sometimes on start up, It had a 1/4 tank of gas filled it up and made it about 1/8 of a mile from the gas station and it sputtered and then made it about 2-3 miles to work and it sputtered completely out. I have no codes, I mean its a great running car, but im still thinking its the injectors. Still stuck where I left it. Work is killing me and no time to get it towed at the moment. Dont know if I mentioned it last night, but when I had replaced the fuel filter last night it was nasty as hell, but im thinking it might have plugged the injectors.

Note* it did it once the night before so I know it wasnt from the gas I had just filled it up with.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by ninetyone
If you have black smoke. Check your Coolant temp sensor. All of these sensors will effect your fuel mixture and driveability. Do you have any codes? Even if you don't have an SES light, check for codes anyway. Whitish blue smoke at startup is normal for the age of our cars. That is just the valve seals leaking a little. Perfectly normal and goes away after initial startup. Sounds like a bad FUEL INJECTOR. Check them all with a multimeter and if you find one bad one , always replace ALL of them at the same time. Later
No clue how to test the injectors lol, when I get a chance I am having it towed to the shop on post. They have just about every tool ever and its like 4 bucks to use anything you want for a day. $6 if you use the lift they have.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91' Firebird SOLD
Engine: 350 TPI +bolt-ons
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:42

It is probably a combination of things. Bad injector would not make it smoke though. What color is the smoke? You said it was white? Are you sure it is not steam?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:26 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro Base model
Engine: 305 LO3 5.0L V8 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10Bolt Rear, Not sure the gearing

Yo I'm having that same prob. It's probly a fuel pump. If the filter was bad then keep in mind that stuff had to pass through the fuel pump and burned it up. Listen for the pump to hum. It should only hum thought, if it sound like a vaccume cleaner and sounds real loud and rough then its bad, and if you don't hear it at all then its obviously bad. Actually tonight me and my gf broke down at a diner due to my pump bein bad. it wouldn't kick on but when it did it sounded like a dam blender. Does anyone know how hard it is to replace it in my driveway???