Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

starts then dies!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4 shift kit
Axle/Gears: Posi
starts then dies!

i have a 88 firebird trans am and it starts then dies after a few seconds. i put in a new fuel pump and fuel filter, the pressure is great at the fuel rail. but i could only keep it running with starting fluid, and its worse when i give it gas.. maybe its an electrical problem please help me! thanks
Old 04-17-2011, 11:40 PM

Car: 1990 Firebird RS
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: 700r
Re: starts then dies!

If it will start on fluid that usually indicates a fuel issue have you checked your o2 sensor? Its above the cat converter but I'm just guessing. Wouldn't hurt to disconnect it and try to start it
Old 04-17-2011, 11:59 PM

Car: 1990 Firebird RS
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: 700r

Matter of fact... I think it will work on your car connect the a+b terminals on the diagnostic connector with a small piece of wire and count your check engine light thatthen google diagnostic codes on your car maybe that would get you started somewhere it works just like a flash coder
Old 04-18-2011, 12:37 AM

Car: 1989 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 5.0 TPI LB9
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt 2.73

well mine had the same problem, and it turned out being an injector, so that might be a place to start. Other than that just go through your fuel line, check the Idle air control. and how did it run before you changed the fuel filter and pump?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:05 AM

Car: 1986 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: Chevy 355
Transmission: Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 2.77

Running too rich or lean sounds like. Is yours TBI by chance? You can use MAF cleaner to try cleaning all your sensors and get that out of the way.

I would get an oscilloscope and check the signal of the sensors and see if you are getting correct readings, as well. I dunno if you can do that to an 02 sensor, I've used it for cam sensors and hal-effect sensors though.

Oh also, did you test for fuel volume and not just PSI on the fuel rail? You can have 40 pounds of fuel pressure but low flow. If you throttle it and the extra air causes it to run super lean till it dies...

EDIT: And btw the injectors (stock ones) on our cars are known for failing. I (like many others here it seems) have had injectors fail. In my case, it was leaking badly.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:50 PM

I have this same issue. I've replaced the coil, plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, checked the fuel pressure, completely bypassed VATS, still nada until I was reading another forum and ran into a post about the ICM. The Ignition Control Module is on the back of the distributor. I've been trying to start it all day with no luck. I went out and tapped on the ICM and it cranked. It got hot and died quickly but at least it finally cranked. When I felt the bottom of the ICM again its very hot. I'm going to replace it this afternoon ($43 at autozone) and hopefully there will be no more issues.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jcblackbird
If it will start on fluid that usually indicates a fuel issue have you checked your o2 sensor? Its above the cat converter but I'm just guessing. Wouldn't hurt to disconnect it and try to start it

you should probably check the injectors as well
Old 06-17-2017, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by 89proam
I have this same issue. I've replaced the coil, plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, checked the fuel pressure, completely bypassed VATS, still nada until I was reading another forum and ran into a post about the ICM. The Ignition Control Module is on the back of the distributor. I've been trying to start it all day with no luck. I went out and tapped on the ICM and it cranked. It got hot and died quickly but at least it finally cranked. When I felt the bottom of the ICM again its very hot. I'm going to replace it this afternoon ($43 at autozone) and hopefully there will be no more issues.
My problem is solved. It was actually the connector to the ICM. The wires were corroded. I cleaned them and since I was there I replaced the ICM. She fires right up and runs smooth.