Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

New starter wont engage

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC Z
Engine: 350 5.7L Carb'd
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Disc 2.77
New starter wont engage

i just got done putting on a new starter, and it wont turn over, it doesnt even sound like its trying to engage, like it has no power, although theres the normal power drain when i turn the key, like the lights dim and stuff, but no clicks or anything. i didnt shim the starter, but thats only because the old starter didnt have any shims

the battery isnt dead, and im pretty sure i have it hooked up right, but there is a white wire that has been stripped at the end that hangs down as well, and i have no clue what it goes to, for all i know it might have been hooked up to the old starter before i took it out

there are 3 orange wires and the thick wire coming from the pos side of the battery, i hooked all 4 to the big bolt on the starter solenoid, then i hooked the purple wire to the S connector on the solenoid, is that right?

theres also a black wire that hangs down next to the white wire that doesnt connect to anything, though i think it goes to the sensor mounted in the block next to the starter, since the wire on it is black too, and has been cut

if anyone can help, id greatly appreciate it

i included a pic of the wires hanging
Attached Thumbnails New starter wont engage-0712111656a.jpg  
Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E
Re: New starter wont engage

the small purple one does go to the starter "S" terminal and all the others with the big ring terminal go to the big lug on the solenoid. so you do have things overall wired up right from the sound of things.

if it needed to be shimmed, you should at least here the starter try to engage and "thunk" on the flywheel.

quick check - do you have +12v at that lug? if so, you may just have gotten a bum starter, never hurts to get it bench tested just in case.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC Z
Engine: 350 5.7L Carb'd
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Disc 2.77
Re: New starter wont engage

i got it figured out, the starter wire from the battery was too close to the exhaust and it melted so i wasnt getting a good connection, so i replaced it and the starter works great, too bad i wasted some money buying a new starter when the old one was fine, but at least i can add the starter to the long list of new parts ive put on the car, just goes to show you should double, triple, or even quadruple check your wiring before you assume the worst, when it comes to electronics, i got lucky the wire didnt touch anything and ground out, that could be a nightmare

i did put a shim in it, just to see if it would make a difference, and it obviously didnt, but i just left the shim on it, and it sounds fine starting, no grinding or anything, would it be safe for me to just leave the shim in it? cause i really dont feel like climbing back under there, lol

Last edited by wwwyzzerdd; 07-13-2011 at 10:33 PM.