Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Charcoal Canister Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS running MS2X
Engine: .48/.60AR T3/T4 2.8L V6
Transmission: Rebuilt 700R4 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: Next to break...
Charcoal Canister Questions

Hey guys, been awhile since i was last on here, but that's a good thing cause the car runs great for how old it is. 240,xxx miles and chugging along fine.

Well I lost my job as a delivery driver for Pizza Hut, and yes, I delivered in the Camaro and got all kinds of questions and comments about it. Well after not finding another job, I had to turn my plates in and cancel the insurance just to hold on to my license (Thats how they do things in Florida). So I decided to start sanding down from the pinstripes up, to do a flat or semi-gloss black to contrast the maroon paint. Ended up taking the whole front apart which is OK, cause the whole front suspension needs to be replaced, and it works out well because I'm getting my tax money in 10 days.

OK, on to the question, after a little explanation.
I did a throw together Cold Air Intake in the modifications section,
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabr...om-intake.html

Now I'm on to moving the battery finally to do a proper air box, Moving the battery to the spot where the charcoal canister is, And therein lies the problem.

I've been looking for a good spot to put it so its out of the way, but unable to find a good one because of its size.

OK NOW THE QUESTION
(Finally, right?)

1989 Camaro RS 2.8/700r4

Anyone know of another car with a Shorter/smaller canister?
Like maybe a fiero(if it isn't the same exact one that i already have)

Another question,
Can the canister be used on its side?
Common sense is telling me it wont work as well cause less surface area in the carbon being on its side instead of upright. Allowing only say 1/2 of the carbon to be utilized before the gases/air/whatever escape out of the filter on the bottom because its sitting on its side.

Let me know what you think??????
(I'll post a pic of what the car currently looks like all torn down, cause I know you guys love those dirty pics!)

Last edited by willexoIX; 02-03-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling, lol
Old 02-03-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 355 N/A mind 400hp build
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Charcoal Canister Questions

well here's what I am doing.... I'm leaving my charcoal canister where it is.. building a Radiator catch can to match it for the other side and then moving my battery to the back where the spare tire well compartment is. However... to do that you will want to buy a new (non vented) battery. Otherwise you'll be huffing acid fumes inside the car and thats not good!! hahah Its working out for me because I want a "CLEAN" engine bay with very little other than a honkin a$$ engine. Have a lot of stereo equipment in the back so having the battery back there works too. I've already got a 0 gauge wire going from front to back from the previous set up so now all I have to do is pop in a distribution box to split the positive feed on the frame to go to its needed spots
Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Banned

Well I was going to move the battery to the trunk, but I'd rather not due to budget. And thats why I'm asking about the canister, Thanks for the input though
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Irocz
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.25:1

It can be mounted directly under the battery tray.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Banned

Well where i'm moving the battery to, where the canister was, under that is the vacuum chamber, and i don't really want to run the lines all the way across the engine bay.

I have a spot im looking to mount it in, thats why i'm asking if i can use it on its side, or if someone knows of a more compact canister i can use in its place.

I know what the next response might be and no, I dont want to do away with it, lol.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Banned

Bump.
Nobody knows of a smaller charcoal canister????
Old 02-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 355 N/A mind 400hp build
Transmission: 700r4

if its the battery that most cars have in them they have vented tops. U cannot mount it on its side or you will dump acid all over your engine bay... and thats not good hahah. To be able to mount a battery on its side you will need a battery like the Optima(100% sealed non venting battery) You'll find them most likely at a place where import tuners buy their junk lol. Non vent batterys are the only battery that is mountable inside your car as it doesnt vent gas inside your car.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Banned

Not the battery, the charcoal canister.
I guess you were paying more attention to the superbowl than the computer when you replied, lol. No harm no foul

Edit; I just now saw you posted that before the superbowl, lol.
Still was a nail biting game though

Originally Posted by Ronnie Brennan
if its the battery that most cars have in them they have vented tops. U cannot mount it on its side or you will dump acid all over your engine bay... and thats not good hahah. To be able to mount a battery on its side you will need a battery like the Optima(100% sealed non venting battery) You'll find them most likely at a place where import tuners buy their junk lol. Non vent batterys are the only battery that is mountable inside your car as it doesnt vent gas inside your car.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Banned

bump..
Nobody has seen a smaller charcoal canister that can possibly be compatible with a third gen? either with or without modifications needed.

Actually, I just had an idea. Anyone ever broke down a charcoal canister and have pics????
Thinking about cutting it in half....

Last edited by willexoIX; 02-16-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Banned

bump...
Old 02-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Banned

Here's what the car currently looks like more or less. It makes me sad, lol.
Attached Thumbnails Charcoal Canister Questions-camaro.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by willexoIX
bump..
Nobody has seen a smaller charcoal canister that can possibly be compatible with a third gen? either with or without modifications needed.

Actually, I just had an idea. Anyone ever broke down a charcoal canister and have pics????
Thinking about cutting it in half....
Really guys? Nobody??
Old 02-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

So absolutely nobody has seen a smaller charcoal canister or has split one open before????
Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 746 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Your making this waaay harder than it has to be. You don't need a smaller one. Just move it under the battery or up under the front bumper area. It supposed to be mounted the way the factory does and its for a reason. (I'm not going to scan my service manual but its that way for proper function)
This is mine (in a formula) you can put it in the same general place. Extend the wires and vac lines. This is where SLP moved them 4 the Hawks..
Name:  SDC10175.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  51.1 KB

Last edited by TTOP350; 02-25-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TTOP350
You don't need a smaller one. Just move it under the battery or up under the front bumper area.
This is mine (in a formula) you can put it in the same general place. Extend the wires and vac lines. This is where SLP moved them 4 the Hawks..
Well I moved the battery to the drivers side from the pass side to make room for my custom intake. Under the current location of the battery is the vacuum chamber. Where I was trying to put it (pretty much where you put it more or less, but on a Camaro) the headlight bucket is in the way; and I really don't want it down that low (incase something flies up off the road and breaks it). only other place for it is right in front of the rad; not an option either.

If I could shorten it an inch and a half or find a more compact one that's interchangeable, it would be perfect. Which is why I'm asking the questions I'm asking.

The spot I'm looking at is between the metal bumper support top and bottom, right in front of where the vacuum chamber is; Minimal relocation. Plus It will protect it from being hit by anything.

But it puts the top right in the way of the headlight bucket when the bumper goes on. Hence why I'm looking for a smaller one or looking to shorten it.

Thanks though
Old 02-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member

Mine has been in that location for 200,000k miles and its still hanging by the same zip-ties I put it on with.
If something hits it, your going to have a bunch more to worry about than that canister.
The battery on 88-92 firebirds is on the dr side because the air filter/charcoal canister is over on the pass side.
I do understand your worries but noo need at all. I believe your trying to over think things..... I used to do that also.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Banned

Mine has been in that location for 200,000k miles and its still hanging by the same zip-ties I put it on with.
If something hits it, your going to have a bunch more to worry about than that canister.
The battery on 88-92 firebirds is on the dr side because the air filter/charcoal canister is over on the pass side.
I do understand your worries but noo need at all. I believe your trying to over think things..... I used to do that also.
I've hit numerous raccoons and small animals where i live in FL, If it was put there it surely would have shattered. Most of the roads around me do not have streetlights because I live in the sticks. Which makes it hard to see things until they are right in the headlights, usually by then they are too close to avoid.

I moved the battery from the passenger side to the driver side to make room for an intake. So I need to relocate the charcoal canister(which is on the driver side)because that is where the battery is going.

Where the battery is going, under that tray is the vacuum chamber for the cruise control, so I can't put it there.

I Know where I want the Charcoal Canister, I'm not over thinking it or making it harder than it should be. Where I want to put it, It will be too tall, and the front bumper will not fit.

I need a smaller canister or to shorten the one I have. Sorry but I fail to see how that is over thinking it.

No offense or anything, but asking if somebody knows of a smaller interchangeable canister, or if someone has a cutaway view of the existing canister is as simple as i gets.

I know where I want it. And that is why I am asking the question that I am asking.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:57 AM
Supreme Member

Soo if you mount your canister on the driverside, behind the bumper support like I have mine and you hit a small animal it will shatter??? Thats a tuff animal to go thru the bumpercover and metal bumper support. (which is y i'm saying you'll have more than a canister to worry about)
I kinda live in the sticks myself and have my fair share of road kill with the car. They always hit the bumper/airdam, then the engine crossmember and get rolled under the car. I've never really had one hit the front, bounce up into the rad area then bounce 4ward behind the bumper support to shatter anything..
The vac ball can also be moved around a lil bit . No law that says it has to stay where its at. Its easier to mount in a smaller place.
I guess you could swap in a LS1 plastic gas tank, I think the charcoal canister is on top of that. but then you have to figure out how all that works with your stock setup.
And yes I do think your making this harder than it needs to be.
Good luck...

Edit: I just looked at the link to your "cold air" kit.
Your air filter and the pipe going thru the bumper support is where I have my charcoal canister. What happens if you hit a small animal and it shatters the filter and tubing???? or sucks water up??

Last edited by TTOP350; 02-25-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH350 for now

It is common for charcoal canisters to be non-functional after years of people overfilling their tanks (overfilling will send fuel down the vent line and into the canister). Overfilling being topping up after the pump shuts off (to round up the amount). Simple changing of the internals will get it back in shape, most people do not have a clue that it is done since there are no real symptoms other than the charcoal not doing its job, basically the same as not having one at all.

Some modern cars will actually give you a code that it is damaged.

My concern is mounting it under the battery tray will make this worse.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Banned

Soo if you mount your canister on the driverside, behind the bumper support like I have mine and you hit a small animal it will shatter??? Thats a tuff animal to go thru the bumpercover and metal bumper support. (which is y i'm saying you'll have more than a canister to worry about)
I kinda live in the sticks myself and have my fair share of road kill with the car. They always hit the bumper/airdam, then the engine crossmember and get rolled under the car. I've never really had one hit the front, bounce up into the rad area then bounce 4ward behind the bumper support to shatter anything..
The vac ball can also be moved around a lil bit . No law that says it has to stay where its at. Its easier to mount in a smaller place.
I guess you could swap in a LS1 plastic gas tank, I think the charcoal canister is on top of that. but then you have to figure out how all that works with your stock setup.
And yes I do think your making this harder than it needs to be.
Good luck...

Edit: I just looked at the link to your "cold air" kit.
Your air filter and the pipe going thru the bumper support is where I have my charcoal canister. What happens if you hit a small animal and it shatters the filter and tubing???? or sucks water up??
If your not going to be constructive, please dont post in my thread. The intake end is METAL and the tube is behind a custom grille, therefore nothing will come through the grille.

The simple fact of the matter is, I KNOW WHERE I WANT IT.
Not behind the bumper cover, behind the bumper support. You know, that big piece of metal BEHIND the bumper cover.

Also, the filter is not going to be where the tube is, its going in the airbox. The tube goes TO the airbox, which has the filter in it. If you would have actually looked at it, it is a completely sound design.

ONE MORE TIME THE QUESTION; Does anyone know of a smaller charcoal canister or has disassembled the original and either has pics or can get them.

For clarification, I know where I want the canister.
Not to be a douche, but if you don't have the answer to those simple questions, please do not post.
Thank You.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by willexoIX
The simple fact of the matter is, I KNOW WHERE I WANT IT.
Not behind the bumper cover, behind the bumper support. You know, that big piece of metal BEHIND the bumper cover.
Thank You.
And thats EXACTLY where my canister is, behind the metal bumper support. The bottom hangs down maybe 3/4" below the metal bumper support. (my car has the stock bumper support removed and its replaced with a 1x1" aluminum tube).
I figured your filter was in the box but with such a small RA pipe going to your sealed box I really didn't know 4 sure what you were doing. I thought that was a brake cooling duct, until I saw the pipe run up to the batt tray.
No need to get pissy either. I'm trying to help but your fighting me for NO reason.
Since you have your car torn apart, maybe post a pic of how you want to mount your canister, maybe you will get more responses but you will most likely get the same answer I have given you.
For the life of me, I don't understand y you want to spend a whole summer on modding/ mounting the canister when its been done. If you do find a shorter one it will mostlikey have several different hookups anyway, which require more mods..
No need to reinvent the wheel here.

Google search. turned this up. The top end parts are different on most all of them but the guts are the same.

Last edited by TTOP350; 02-25-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Banned

Didn't plan on taking the whole summer to do the charcoal canister.

Anyway, Heres what I wound up doing.
Attached Thumbnails Charcoal Canister Questions-img_20120301_095128.jpg   Charcoal Canister Questions-img_20120301_095118.jpg