Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How much fuel line do i need

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 IROC
How much fuel line do i need

hi there,

I've spent the better part of the afternoon searching for this answer, but I haven't found an answer so I figured I'd post.

The fuel lines in my car need replacing (87 TPI car). I priced out pre-bent lines and by the time I get those to my door, I'm looking at close to $300. I was thinking of running -6an lines instead as the cost, even with the fittings looks to be about half the cost of the pre-bent lines.

If I order a 20ft roll of line, will that give me enough to do the feed and return line? Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a push-lock style hose vs. stainless braided?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Re: How much fuel line do i need

Depending on how you route the line, 10 ft each piece for return/supply MAY fit. Take some string and try to measure the length. I know I ran a 10 ft piece of line from the oil filter to the back right under the trunk well for an oil cooler and just barely had enough. So that may get you from the tank's hardlines to the backside of the engine rails. If trying to go to the front of the rails, you may need another foot or 2. hard to say.

Nothing wrong with standard stainless braided but if you can afford the teflon lined style stuff its a better alternative. After a few years, fuel will seep into the braided rubber lines and you will smell the vapors. Teflon stuff wont do that.