Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

'89 5.7 TPI wont start without starting fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro IROC Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: AOD
'89 5.7 TPI wont start without starting fluid

Hello all, I am new to this forum and to IROC Camaro's.
I just purchased this '89 the other day.

As I said I am new to this car, but not to mechanics. I am very open to any input from you all to learn all I can about it.
I got it with the understanding that it was not running very well and that it may need injectors and vacuum leaks fixed. So after forking out $500 I drove it home, it would barely run and required ether to start. Then at WOT it would just fall on its face.
I got it home and spent the day fixing the vacuum leaks, found that the metal tube from the smog pump was disconnected, replaced the distributer cap and rotor. installed new fuel filter, spark plugs and serpentine belt. I even ran a can of Sea Foam through it.
I did a compression test and the cylinders range from 165 to 180 psig. Fuel pressure holds at about 35 psi, both at idle and revving the engine.
The fuel injectors ohm out at 7 - 10 ohms. I have read that they should be from 14 -18 ohms.
It still takes ether to start, but it runs pretty smooth until it warms up. Then it will start to lope like it has a big cam in it.
Now at WOT it pulls allot better than it did, but doesn't seem to have the power that it should. There are no computer codes other than the code 12.
Does it sound like the fuel pump and injectors should fix these issues? or am I missing something??
Thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: '89 5.7 TPI wont start without starting fluid

Fuel pressure is low should be 39psi @ idle with the vac line on ; 45psi with vac line off
Injectors are gone.Time for new ones
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro IROC Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: AOD

You were correct vetteoz. I replaced the in tank fuel pump, new injectors, IAC valve, plugs, cap, and rotor and fixed vacuum leaks.
After all that it ran much better, but it seemed to still have a slight miss. I ohmed out all the injectors before I installed them and they checked out good. However with the engine running, I used my touch style stethoscope and noticed that the injector on cyl. #2 was not making the sound that the other 7 was making, which was a nice crisp ticking noise.
I replaced the faulty injector and it now runs great.
So even when an injector has the correct resistance it still can be faulty.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers

Originally Posted by tlap
You were correct vetteoz. I replaced the in tank fuel pump, new injectors, IAC valve, plugs, cap, and rotor and fixed vacuum leaks.
After all that it ran much better, but it seemed to still have a slight miss. I ohmed out all the injectors before I installed them and they checked out good. However with the engine running, I used my touch style stethoscope and noticed that the injector on cyl. #2 was not making the sound that the other 7 was making, which was a nice crisp ticking noise.
I replaced the faulty injector and it now runs great.
So even when an injector has the correct resistance it still can be faulty.
the pipe from the smog pump is no biggie, the pump is just a giant fan that runs all the time. Smog system might not even miss it, but might cause you to fail emissions if not hooked up.

Code "12", simply means "Diagnostic system is functional"...if only this code flashes, there is nothing the ECM is finding wrong. "All systems normal"...if you will.