Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Ripping it all out. Will the new engine work?

Old 12-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Ripping it all out. Will the new engine work?

I'm removing the 350 TBI in my 91 Camaro. I'm wanting to replace it with a Blue Print 383, 430hp FAST EZ-EFI crate seen here: http://blueprintengines.com/index.ph...83-bp38313ctf1

I'll also be putting in a Performabuilt Level 1 700R4 seen here: http://performabuilt.com/level-1.html

Now the crate engine doesn't have EGR. So the question is, without the EGR, do I need to keep to rest of the smog stuff to pass emissions? I'm still running cats and I would think that the newer engine with the more advanced fuel system would run cleaner. ??? I plan to also reuse my coated Hooker 2055 headers and just block off the EGR tubes . . . any issues in that?

Now, if I can remove the smog stuff, I would likely get a March serpentine system just to pretty up the bay and to get one of the newer and smaller A/C compressor units out there. If I can't remove the smog stuff, I would still like to get a smaller A/C compressor since my old monster one is toast anyways. Here's the March system I'm looking at: http://marchperf.com/sporttrack-swp.html

I really don't want any surprises here and the only wild card left out there (assuming what I've said so far is based in reality) is hoping that the Walbro 190 can push the fuel. (the crate engine may come with a fuel pump).

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated as I need to get to the parts ordered soon.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Ripping it all out. Will the new engine work?

the march set-up looks to be for a short waterpump. you should have a long waterpump?

going to serpetine usually requires a reverse flow waterpump, if you dont have one already.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700R4

Yeah, you're right. After some more research I'm starting to believe an aftermarket serpentine system just isn't worth the *** pain. Instead I'll pick up the smog delete pully, and see if I can mount a smaller a/c compressor and an better power steering pump to the stock mounts.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers

Originally Posted by redneckjoe
going to serpetine usually requires a reverse flow waterpump, if you dont have one already.
This is incorrect. You need a reverse "Rotation" water pump. Reverse flow were for LT1 motors and will burn up your engine.

Don't waste your money on a March system, all you're doing is paying $1500 or more for shiny parts, you don't gain anything from it other than "looking good". If that's worth $1500 to you, then by all means, have at it.

As for Emissions..."GOOGLE" is your best friend. However, I did look it up.

Here is your answer. 750.1 and 750.2 You may not remove your emissions system from your car, it will faill your emissions visiual inspection if not the actual sniffer test.

Washington DC Vehicle Emissions Requirements

750.1 When any motor vehicle was originally equipped with an emission control system, that system shall be maintained in good working order, and no person shall disconnect any part of that system, except temporarily in order to make repairs, replacements, or adjustments, and no person shall modify or alter that system in its operation.

750.2 No person shall operate, and no owner shall cause or permit to be operated, any motor vehicle originally equipped with a pollution control system while any part of that system is disconnected or while that system or its operation is modified or altered.

Long story short, you cannot remove any emissions equipment from your car without breaking Federal Law, and by effect, state law. Not saying you don't have an inspector that may overlook certain things, but the official line is "you can't remove emissions equipment from your vehicle."