Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

AC System Interchangeability

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Too many!
AC System Interchangeability

Hello, I have an 88 GTA and I need the entire AC system. The car has a 350 and an auto trans. What other cars is the AC system interchangeable with? Will an AC system from a car with a v6 or 305 work? Is 88 the only year that will fit? Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: AC System Interchangeability

Define "entire".

The evaporator and housing are more or less universal in all these cars; 82-92, Camaro or Firebird, 6-cyl or V8, etc.

Condenser, pretty much the same.

Compressor and lines though, vary quite a bit. Roughly, 87-back is one system, and 88-up is another. 6-cyl brackets won't fit on V8s, but the compressor might. I'd expect the lines to be different as well.

Control head and wiring harness is mostly the same; there are a few detail differences but most of it is not insurmountable.

The devil is in the details.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Define "entire".

The evaporator and housing are more or less universal in all these cars; 82-92, Camaro or Firebird, 6-cyl or V8, etc.

Condenser, pretty much the same.

Compressor and lines though, vary quite a bit. Roughly, 87-back is one system, and 88-up is another. 6-cyl brackets won't fit on V8s, but the compressor might. I'd expect the lines to be different as well.

Control head and wiring harness is mostly the same; there are a few detail differences but most of it is not insurmountable.

The devil is in the details.
Basically the car is missing everything except the controls, the previous owner intended to make it an ac delete car and trashed the ac system.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by wwe442
Basically the car is missing everything except the controls, the previous owner intended to make it an ac delete car and trashed the ac system.
Will the brackets from an 86 Trans Am work? I know the system was set up differently but I wasnt sure about the brackets
Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 PM

Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 350 Vortec TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27

I am in the midst of doing this as well. What I have found out is below.

87 and older
-v belt setup
-evap is style 'a' we will call(line to the dryer and to liquid line are straight from evap pointing to front of car)
-liquid hard line there are two type
-a is with dual fans and has two schraeder valves
-b is without dual fans and has a single schaeder valve(you can put a pressure switch on this type if you want to run dual fans, but will have to come off when you want to check pressures)
-condenser has the same line size in and out(not sure of size at the moment)
-compressor and rubber lines are v8/v6 specific

88 and some 89
-everything the same as above except the compressor and rubber lines are different as they are for a serp system. I do believe a v6 compressor will fit, not rubber lines.

90 was the same with the 88-89 serp system, but now the liquid line and evap are a bit different. The line coming out of the evap now does a 90 upwards. The liquid line then connects to it and does 2 90* back down to the frame rail, then 90* forward to the condenser

91-92 are the same as the 90, but the condenser is different. The fitting to the liquid line is larger then the fitting that goes to the rubber lines form the compressor. For this the liquid line is also different.

All brackets from v6 and v8 cars are different.

Like I said, this is what I have noticed as I try and piece a system together.

I have pics of all the liquid lines(except the 91-92, but look similar as the 90 just different fitting). Let me know if you want them.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by hrspwr

87 and older
-v belt setup
-evap is style 'a' we will call(line to the dryer and to liquid line are straight from evap pointing to front of car)
-b is without dual fans and has a single schaeder valve(you can put a pressure switch on this type if you want to run dual fans, but will have to come off when you want to check pressures)

88 and some 89
-everything the same as above except the compressor and rubber lines are different as they are for a serp system. I do believe a v6 compressor will fit, not rubber lines.

90 was the same with the 88-89 serp system, but now the liquid line and evap are a bit different. The line coming out of the evap now does a 90 upwards. The liquid line then connects to it and does 2 90* back down to the frame rail, then 90* forward to the condenser

91-92 are the same as the 90, but the condenser is different. The fitting to the liquid line is larger then the fitting that goes to the rubber lines form the compressor. For this the liquid line is also different.

I have pics of all the liquid lines(except the 91-92, but look similar as the 90 just different fitting). Let me know if you want them.
Thanks a bunch, I'm leaving right now to go look at a Firebird that a buddy of mine's grandfather has had in his collection since the 90's, its a v6 that was wrecked so I'm hoping some of the stuff is gonna work.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 AM

Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 350 Vortec TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27

Should be able to get most of the parts. Hard line, evap, dryer, ac housing and condenser. Compressor and rubber lines may not work.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 PM

It was an 85 and he wanted a little more than I was willing to pay for it, most of it was rusted out or damaged from the accident and he doesnt have the title for it so I'm just gonna keep looking for an 88 for parts if anyone has anything they are looking to get rid of I'm interested
Old 06-22-2019, 08:50 PM

Car: '92 RS Camaro
Engine: '92 SD 305 TPI
Transmission: BW 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Stock Open 3.08:1

Originally Posted by hrspwr

87 and older
-v belt setup

88 and some 89

Sorry to bring this posting back to life but I need some help with a '92 Camaro RS AC liquid line. I cannot find a new line anywhere and it appears the '92 model is unique to all other years. '91 liquid lines are plentiful and I an not sure of the difference so if anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:12 AM
Supreme Member

Often, if it's possible, the best thing to do is to keep the original one; CAREFULLY cut the crimp bands off of the ends of the soft part; and replace just that, with nice new modern "barrier" (polyethylene lined) hose, using 2 of the HEAVY DUTY A/C hose clamps at each end, not the little weenie ones hanging on cards in the heater hose section at AZ or wherever.
The following users liked this post:
USMC3782 (07-03-2021)
Old 06-23-2019, 11:56 AM

sofakingdom -
Thanks for you response but I believe we are taking about two different A/C lines. I believe you are referring to the low pressure line/lines which contain both a flexible "hose" section that is crimped on each end to a hard line and connects to the a/c compressor. What I am referring to is the solid line that runs between the condenser and the evaporator section. This is the high pressure section of the system and is a pre-bent line that is not flexible. One end is connected to the condenser and the opposite end connects to the orifice at the evaporator. Did the system change from R-12 to R-134 between the '91 and "92 years? The '91 liquid line looks to be the same as my '92 liquid line so I don't understand why the '92 line does not show up anywhere I have searched.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

AFAIK the 92 F-bodies still had R-12. The last year of that, I do believe.

If the line "looks" the same, the issue is probably the fitting at one of the ends. Probably the condenser end since the orifice tube end is almost certainly the same as all the others (and other car mfrs as well). In which case you could just get a previous year condenser and use the 91 line.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:03 PM

I believe the '92 condenser is "parallel flow" and the '91 is not. I understand the parallel flow condenser is better with R-134 and I already have that condenser. That does not mean I won't have to use the '91 condenser but I would like to use the '92 if possible. Thanks for the help.