Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

TIMING CHAIN COVER ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z H.O. 4bbl
Engine: L69 Small-Block, 305
Transmission: Borg-Warner T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
TIMING CHAIN COVER ?

i just started the iroc, after having done finished my rear main seal and my oil pan seal for the reason that both ends there was a leak at the front middle lip of the pan and back middle lip of the pan. now i have the same leak in the same spot, only in the front now, this is a crock of ****in ****. my question is, would it now be, that i have to do the seal to the timing chain cover, am not sure wether that would cause that same leak at the front middle lip of the pan ?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: TIMING CHAIN COVER ?

That's usually what we call "mechanical failure"; wherein the mechanic failed to do something right...

What sealant did you use on those rubbers?

Personally I don't much care for the rubbers, which is what is sounds like you used? I prefer to smear some sealer on the timing cover, fill the groove up to about 1/8" higher than the rubber would be, let it set up overnight, then smear a bit more on top of that and on the oil pan. Same for the rear one. Since "The Right Stuff" came out a few years ago (kinda similar to "Ultra" RTV except in a pressurized can like whipped cream), that's what I've been using for such things.

First thing to be sure of though, is that the leak is REALLY the thing you think it is; not for example, the crank snout seal, or that a timing chain has wore a hole in the timing cover at the bottom right of its place there and ruined the cover, or the bolt that always gets left out.

If I HAVE TO use the rubbers for some reason, I use gorilla snot on them. They almost always seal perfectly at least right at first, their problem IMO is longevity.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you use the proper (thicker) front seal? Engines from the mid 70s up use the thicker one.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Damon
Did you use the proper (thicker) front seal? Engines from the mid 70s up use the thicker one.
yep, i got that on there
Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Damon

to tell you the truth i honestly believe i figured how this was leaking from the front lip,,, when i had took everything off, ( the timing chain, water pump, damper, pulley), I noticed that when the water pump dripped its coolant out the 2 holes, it would slide down the timing chain cover and drip off the middle of the oil pan,, so now, me understanding that, i figured the timing chain cover gasket was the oil leak. where as that sht must of roled along the same route as the coolant did and leaked from the front of the oil pan.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Thing about that whole area is, the balancer is spinning right there, and anything that gets to that point, tends to get slung violently around, and appears in all sorts of places far removed from where it actually emerged... best to quarter-car-wash the whole area STERILE (take your floor jack along so you can get up under it and see what you're doing), and then pull it out of the bay and let it idle and watch it, using the floor jack; then drive it a coupla blocks and get out and inspect it thoroughly again, again with the floor jack; then drive it a mile on the freeway and inspect it again; and so on, until the source of the leak is POSITIVELY IDENTIFIED. Don't "assume" anything about where a leak is, it usually turns out to be wrong.