Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Air Conditioning Question. No other place to post

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Air Conditioning Question. No other place to post

I need a new/replacement A/C Evaporator & firewall box for my 1983 Z/28 Camaro.

The early A/C boxes from 82-89? has the lower high pressure line that comes out of the evaporator coming straight out along of the bottom of the Evaporator case following along the frame rail and goes directly to the condenser with an additional aluminum line connecting to the evaporator and the condensor. The condenser between 1982 and 1989 changed slightly in appearance however the lines connections appear to be the same in size and location.

The later A/C boxes from 90-92 the high pressure line also come out of the bottom of the evaporator core and immediately goes vertical upward beside the dryer canister. A second line then connects at a fitting on the high pressure line near the top of the dryer and runs to the condenser. Once again the condenser appears to be the same as the later condenser unit used above.

Both boxes (fiberglass housings) appear identical. The only other difference is the fan motor has a different electrical connector on the later style box versus the earlier box.

I know if I were to use the later box I would also have to use the later configuration A/C hoses for the 305 engine. All of this is available at PULL A PART this includes the earlier style box and the later style box. Both systems were originally R12 systems as far as coolant. Both can be updated to easily available R134 coolant. Looking at both systems I see no real difference in the evporator, condensor or the compressor used in both the early and late systems.

MY QUESTION????

Is there ANY advantage to using the later A/C box (Evaporator), condenser, compressor and system versus the early system that was original to the car?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Air Conditioning Question. No other place to post

From a cooling, air flow, and condensate draining perspective, there should be no advantage nor disadvantage using either one. From the perspective of age, a new (and possibly lower mileage) housing may have less damage from heat, embrittlement, and mechanical stress. If it shatters or crumbles upon disassembly, it may be pretty old.

In either case (no pun intended) the evaporator is likely going to be just barely adequate for cooling with R-12, as most of them were. Switching to R-134 will sacrifice cooling, resulting in an even less effective system. There are few other choices without getting professional service with either R-12 or R-414B (tertiary blend) if you want original cooling performance.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:38 PM

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and answer!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 PM

Picked today up a NICE & correct evaporator box, lines and matching condenser out of an unmolested 88 model.

Thanks for the help!